May 06, 2024, 05:34:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brake flush for 2008 dyna and 2004 FLH

Started by ndmp40, August 27, 2021, 05:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndmp40

Both bikes badly need flushing and replacement fluid.  Should I use DOT 3 or 4?   Can you mix the two?
Thanks for the advice in advance.

kd

What does it call for in the service or owner manual?
KD

Hossamania

Dot4 and Dot5 cannot be mixed, I cannot say for sure that dot4 and dot3 cannot be mixed, but I'm 99% sure they cannot. I believe those use dot4, check your manual, get a new container of fluid.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rusticwater

For your reading pleasure: link

FWIW the 2008 Dyna FSM specifies DOT 4.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Coyote

It should say on your mc lid but I believe the flh will be dot5  and the other bike dot4. Do not mix them.

Norton Commando

I've mixed DOT 3 and 4 fluids more than once an experienced no ill effects.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Coyote

3 and 4 will mix but 4 has a higher boiling point. Why degrade it with Dot 3.

Dan89flstc

2004 model year bike uses DOT 5.

2008 model year bike uses DOT 4.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Buglet

Check what the lid says. Some 2004's and 2005's some came with Dot 4 and some with Dot 5. I think 2006 they finally went all to Dot 4.

HogMike

DOT 3,4,5.1 are all similar glycol based.
Difference is boiling points.

DOT 5 is the odd duck and can't mix with the others, as it is silicone based.

My 2000 is dot 5, my other bikes are DOT4.
You can buy a bottle of DOT3-4 at the parts store and it will work.

Lots of info on the net.

HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

all of the above is the reason I asked what fluid was actually specified.  Simply replacing with another type can be problematic especially if they contradict each other. Even a complete "flush" can miss residue or pockets that may negatively effect the brakes un-expectantly at a later date. If I was changing grades I would be inclined to consider some disassembly for deep cleaning first.
KD

ndmp40

Thanks for the help.
Going by what is listed on the bike caps is not constructive as the bikes were used when I bought them and have been worked on several different shops over the years. 

Coyote

smoserx1

August 27, 2021, 10:16:35 AM #13 Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:37:46 PM by smoserx1
The only thing I know Harley has used since 1999 is Dot 5 and Dot 4.  The switch to Dot 4 was because of ABS.  Anyway if you have a small syringe or baster draw a small amount out of the reservoir and see if it will mix with water.  Dot 5 will not mix at all, since it is an oil, but the others will.  Dot 5 is supposed to be purple in the container.  I have had some that was so light you could barely tell, but every bit of it I have ever used turned tennis ball yellow/green within days after changing it in my system.  Any Dot 3 I have ever had would turn almost black in short order from absorbing moisture.  Dot 5 will not absorb moisture, all the others will and they have to be changed regularly.  Most Dot 3 is light amber when new but I purchased a can of it back in the 70's that was dark green out of the can.  Go figure.

Dan89flstc

Harley used DOT 5 from the mid`70s through 2005.

When the anti lock systems came out in `06, they also specified DOT 4 in all the bikes, just so there was no mix up.

Color of fluid in the bike doesn`t tell you enough to determine what is in there.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Norton Commando

Quote from: Dan89flstc on August 27, 2021, 02:20:06 PM
Harley used DOT 5 from the mid`70s through 2005.

When the anti lock systems came out in `06, they also specified DOT 4 in all the bikes, just so there was no mix up.

Color of fluid in the bike doesn`t tell you enough to determine what is in there.

:agree:
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.