April 18, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Feuling / Rivera Heads

Started by Don D, July 06, 2021, 08:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

July 06, 2021, 08:21:52 AM Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:37:35 AM by HD Street Performance
I have a set here that are all original.  Need some intel on them. What are the pitfalls or issues? They are functionally sound, good guides, seats etc. Springs look to be too stout for a single rocker. I will test them. Back in the day these were just magazine stuff to me, no personal experience with them. Looking for actual end user experiences.  Thanks.

Hybredhog

There's a guy up here that bought about 10 sets off some auction or something, 4 valve right?. He tried to sell them, but I think the word was out that they were problematic. But I did hear that the spring pressure was REALLY excessive and ate a bunch of other parts. And to that end, where would you start on cams, probably -.500 entry level stuff. Ithink they had some sort of odd ball exhaust flange set up to?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Don D

Yes 4 valve, had special inlet and exhaust connections. If i remember they used dual cv carbs in one version

SP33DY

I have a set here that a customer dropped off a few years ago. I did not get very far along with them. Once they started running into money, the customer lost interest. The customer told me to keep the heads, so the project is sitting in the attic gathering dust until I have the time and inclination to get back into it.
So far, I determined that M-8 valve guides would work, and I had Ferrea make some 6mm stem valves for it. I must have had a plan for what springs, etc that I wanted to use. Otherwise I would not have gone to the trouble to have custom valves made for it.
I realize it's not much help, but it's all I've got so far.

Don D

Always appreciate your wealth of knowledge. Thanks

jsachs1

I've done in the neighborhood of 12 sets back in the day. Came up with some mods, to make them more trouble free. There were some changes made also by Feuling, re: valve adjusting feet. IMO, more exotica than performance  :emsad:. It's possible I might still have some gaskets. I'm sure I have some valve adjuster feet( Plymouth Horizon).
John

Dave*M

been running these heads for years.
I run EMPI single wound valve springs for a 1.6L volkswagon motor. They are good to 6500 rpm.You need to make up lower collars for them. Also you need to shim the rockers to 0 lash as the endplay when hot will get looser as the heat increases.
The swivel foot near the pushrod gets set first then the outer swivel foot.
You can drop me a message as I cannot type everything here that needs to be done.That is just a few things off the top of my head.

Don D

Well now I need a set of intake valves. Look a lot like VW and they are 8mm stems. The length is the issue. Anyone have some of the OEM Feuling valves?

Burnout

Any valves you want (dang near) can be had here  https://www.ferrea.com/
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Dave*M

you can try jeff starke of international master bike builders association. He is in florida. He has the rights to the 4 valve heads. Not sure how to find his email.

Don D