April 25, 2024, 10:34:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

compensator

Started by roadkingdresser, July 06, 2021, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Anybody ever put extra shim in a stock compensator? If so what thickness? It's an 09 fxdfse.
roadkingdresser

kd

What version compensator do you have.  SE 14+ uses an available .031 shim and the earlier some use an extra small bellow spring as a shim.  Why are you looking at adding a "shim"?
KD

roadkingdresser

This bike belongs to a friend and the way he was describing the noise to me, i thought it was the main drive bearing goin out on it. I took the primary off and everything in there and pulled the trans. gears out. The bearing wasn't bad and the gears are turning really nice and no movement. I put the comp back on tightened down the best i could and I could turn the sprocket back and forth. He said it didn't make any noise in neutral but when he was moving it started. He had just changed both wheels , but he said it was doin it before that. I couldn't ride it,just had a shoulder replacement. It's the stock comp for the 09-110 motor, with the bolt in the center. I remember someone telling me they put an extra shim in one and they were happy with it.
roadkingdresser

kd

If it's the original comp the temporary fix is adding a small bellow spring plate effectively doubling one disc.  It works for some, others not so much.  The 14* comp is much better and there is a stack height measurement you can set with the shims I mentioned.  Most are closer now than they were when first released. 

If your buddy is a lugger that likes the tractor sound (2000 rpm) it's probably him and not likely the comp being faulty.  If it knocks on take off and riding under 2000 while accelerating it could be getting worn.  Especially if it is starting to kick back when starting and hot. A knock / rattle at low or uneven idle is another indicator. 

Did I mention that the 14+ SE comp is a good option?
KD

roadkingdresser

I'll be talking to him this weekend to find out more. Thanks
roadkingdresser

Tacocaster

I realize the weekend is not quite over yet RKD but.....any updates? I'm curious.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

roadkingdresser

Haven't got a chance to talk to him. got a shim and waiting on parts to come. will update asap.
roadkingdresser