March 28, 2024, 02:55:19 AM

News:

A difference in points ?

Started by motorplex88, July 06, 2021, 05:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Put a new points ignition kit on my project shovel (advance, plate, points and condenser). Got it off eBay. Yup, Taiwan. Anyways , got it all installed and timed up with good results. After she runs and gets hot the points hang. Check em out and the spring tension is weak on the points. No big deal just put in some good points, right?. Nope the rub block on my junk points is taller than the Echlins I normally use. The Echlins adjust slot is not elongated enough to gap the points. I'm sure I can remedy this, but I have never seen rub blocks with different heights for the same application.  Just curious if anyone has run across this. Maybe it's just a Taiwan thing? :idunno:

Ohio HD

Go to an auto parts store and get a set of points for a 1970 Chevrolet 250 CU IN six cylinder. Actually any Chevy inline six points fit. Go to NAPA, they probably have the best quality in a part like that, seeing that they're now obsolete.

kd

KD

Ohio HD

Or go to Summit Racing.

I buy a lot from them, they're one day shipping to me.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/alm-111129

motorplex88

Yup. I have the same points, from napa. I think they are CS788 pt # if I recollect. No bueno till I work em over.   I should probably get out an old point cam and compare to my new Taiwan unit.

billbuilds

Always used Blue Streak points. There are plenty available on eBay. Sorry, that did not answer your question.

Ohio HD

July 07, 2021, 02:53:27 AM #6 Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:14:43 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: motorplex88 on July 06, 2021, 07:27:47 PM
Yup. I have the same points, from napa. I think they are CS788 pt # if I recollect. No bueno till I work em over.   I should probably get out an old point cam and compare to my new Taiwan unit.

I don't understand why the Napa points require being modified. I guess it's possible they make them differently now, but I don't know for what reason. Maybe try another brand. The brand that we sold in the auto parts biz years ago were Niehoff. They were top quality parts then. I'm not sure they're in existence now, but the part number is DR6HV. Same part number as the old Sorenson points.

I typed DR6HV in Google, it brought up some examples from eBay.

When the bikes were current and there were nothing put point ignitions, it was extremely common to replace the HD points with the six cylinder Chevy points. The only difference was the Chevy points didn't come with the male push on wire connector for the female spade connector. I have never seen a set that didn't fit or that required to be modified. If this is an aftermarket points setup, I'd be more curious now as to the backing plate for the points being drilled and located wrong for the points?

motorplex88

Aftermarket on the left. Napa Chevy points on the right.

crock

Blue Streak #DR2240Xfor the points and #DR90X for the condenser. Go to O Riley's or Auto Zone or NAPA and give them THAT # and it will cross to their "Heavy Duty" points set
Crock

nibroc

Quote from: crock on July 07, 2021, 04:48:54 AM
Blue Streak #DR2240Xfor the points and #DR90X for the condenser. Go to O Riley's or Auto Zone or NAPA and give them THAT # and it will cross to their "Heavy Duty" points set

thanks crock..... :chop:

motorplex88

Crock, the blue streak number is one that I always used also. Nowadays the points pictured above with the short rub block is what is available through my napa store. A minor adjustment and problem fixed.

motorplex88

I know this thread seems sillier than a pet coon but after giving the napa points some more adjustment they work as they should. Been riding all day in 90 degree heat without a glitch. Never thought about  advertised "28oz" or whatever points . I've experienced point bounce on cars before but never had any issues on a stock shovel. Also have never seen different heights of rub blocks. Thanks all for your attention and humoring another one of my goofy happenings.  I was just curious if anyone has had the same issue.