Power Commander Auto Tune questions

Started by scootertrash1, July 08, 2021, 11:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

I have a 2010, 96 inch Ultra Classic with the following installed during the pandemic. S&S - Power Tune Header Pipes, Rinehart - 4 inch Slip On Mufflers
S&S Breather, S&S Sidewinder 4 inch Big Bore Piston Kit w/advertised 10.5:1 Compression Ratio making the motor 110 cubic inches from the original 96 inch
S&S 551 EZ Start Cam Shafts Gear Drive and Power Commander w/Auto Tune.
I have left it in in Auto Tune Mode for 1500 miles. Saved my MAP file. The bike has almost 3,000 miles on the engine now. It runs pretty good except for the coming
down through the gears (no popping) but and stopping, say at a traffic light, it always sputters when letting the clutch out in first gear. Usually have to blip the throttle
but this hesitation has killed the motor a few times. It did this when the the Auto Tune was turned on. The dealer where I bought the setup from, told me to let the
Auto Tune do it's thing. It never really cleared up. It does not do this cold, only after the engine is good and hot!
I live in Florida, meaning I am just feet above sea level. We are going to ride to Sturgis this year. I aim to to take my laptop. When I hit South Dakota around
Lake Chamberlain, I aim to put  turn Auto Tune back on for the higher elevations. Is this worthwhile to do?
Thanks!

scootertrash1

To do with the low speed stumble at a stop, the vendor wants to see my MAP file again. I'll download and send this week. The question, the vendor is in favor of always leaving Auto Tune "on". I am not to much in favor of that in normal riding circumstances here at home is because of consistency. I built an engine to better the performance, but Auto Tune seems to detract from that. On the other hand, I will be going on a 5K round trip ride and don't want to be spending all my time and money at the gas station either. 10th time out there!

Hossamania

Have you considered taking it to a tuner and have it Dyno tuned?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

scootertrash1

Yes I have. I live in Florida. When Bike Week rolled around, I only had 250 miles on the new motor. Didn't want on the a dyno that soon. Anybody you'd recommend in the Daytona area?

kd

July 14, 2021, 09:12:37 AM #4 Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:44:15 AM by kd
Actually, on the dyno immediately is the best. While the AFR is being set the dyno operator is doing a controlled break in.
KD

Hossamania

I agree with kd. Mine went on the Dyno immediately from fresh build for break in and tune. Got it back with whatever miles were put on it on the Dyno (it certainly was nowhere near 250, probably closer to 50 or less), and immediately starting beating hell out of it. 100,000 miles so far.

Hossamania

A thread on auto tuners verses Dyno tuning. It veers off a little at the end, but an interesting read nonetheless.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,103837.0.html

Coyote

The areas you are complaining about are very difficult to street tune with auto-tune. You're gonna need a dyno or a better understanding of data logging and manually reading the log to figure out what it needs there. JMO.