April 16, 2024, 07:12:54 AM

News:

06' Street Glide Problem...

Started by JamLazyAss, July 11, 2021, 04:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

My son was riding his Street Glide to work one morning and started having trouble with it.
The motor started going completely dead to full power again about five times.
Then he lost everything.
Ign on or off didn't matter. No power at all.
However the gauges occasionally flicker a little, whether the ign is on or off.
All fuses look good.

Any ideas what to check next?
Thanks.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Coyote

Sounds like it's losing power. Start with simple, ground cable to the frame and positive cable connections.

kd

What Coyote says.  If no results, fiddle with the ignition switch and kill switch to see if you catch some continuity. WAG #2  :nix:
KD

Coyote

Tacocaster

You say it "cycled" 4 or 5 times before finally crappin' out completely but based on my recent experience, try a load test on the battery - not just a voltage check.
Other than that, what the guys have suggested above would be suspect and require investigation fershur.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Dan89flstc

First thing to check is the battery.
Fully charge and have it load tested.

Clean all battery cable connection points.

After testing (or replacing if bad), install battery and perform charging system test.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

HogMike

Quote from: Coyote on July 11, 2021, 04:54:21 PM
Sounds like it's losing power. Start with simple, ground cable to the frame and positive cable connections.

Agreed, common issue with the ground connection near the steering neck. I've had more than one with broken wires inside the insulation that you can't see. Pull and push the wires to see if it makes a difference.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

Mike, you may have nailed it.. The 06 -07 vintage has a ground lug up under the rear of the tank that is accessible with the seat off.  It is on the frame backbone but still accessible if you know where to look. If that ground comes loose the symptoms are exactly what the OP is describing.  I have seen it happen and it has been discussed here enough that I feel it may be the issue.
KD

JamLazyAss

We won't be able to look at it until the weekend.
I'll be sure to look at everything you guys have suggested.

Updates to follow...

fleetmechanic

Just had the loose ground nut problem on a 2018 police bike with 6,700 miles on it.  Can happen on any of these.

JamLazyAss

Aug 10 Update:

Checked most everything and all looked good.
However, after checking the battery, it was found to have a bad cell. And it was relatively new.
Replaced it and all is well.

JLA