April 27, 2024, 05:18:32 PM

News:

1995 tour glide staring issues

Started by oldskool, July 01, 2021, 03:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Would anyone happen to have a starting system troubleshoot flowchart for this 1995 Evo

HogMike

Quote from: oldskool on July 01, 2021, 03:13:00 PM
Would anyone happen to have a starting system troubleshoot flowchart for this 1995 Evo

I'm working on a 1995 FLHT at the moment with an intermittent starting issue.
If you could describe in detail where you're at and the symptoms, maybe I can pick up where you left off.
I have a SM for those bikes and the flow charts are not much help.
:idunno:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

oldskool

New battery. Had it on trickle charge over night and it barley want to roll over. Soon as I turn key on battery volts drop to 10. Hit button battery drops to 5 volts.

motorhogman

Quote from: oldskool on July 02, 2021, 05:52:26 AM
New battery. Had it on trickle charge over night and it barley want to roll over. Soon as I turn key on battery volts drop to 10. Hit button battery drops to 5 volts.

Are you using the bikes volt meter or a multi meter ? I have found the volt meters on the bikes to be very inaccurate.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

rigidthumper

New is no guarantee of good. Battery should read/hold 12.6V with a full charge. Use a meter on the battery posts, and hit the starter, if the voltage drops below 11, the battery isn't doing its job. If the voltage at the posts stays 12.6 +, the cables aren't doing their job.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

oldskool

So back on this..anyone know what the primary and secondary specs for the coil are? And also ignition module test specs?

oldskool

Ok so I got this Old Evo running the other day. It's hard staring once it's warm it fires rt up.I was thinking the intake seals were probably shot so I changed those. I did   notice that the intake S&S has a vacuum line on top of it that is not going to anything. And I don't remember ever seeing a vacuum on any S&S Evo intake. Anyone have any info ?

oldskool

Quote from: oldskool on July 01, 2021, 03:13:00 PM

oldskool

July 19, 2021, 06:03:20 PM #8 Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:15:26 PM by oldskool
Ok doing some more digging around I found the Voes switch. So I'm thinking the vacuum off intake goes to the Voes switch.??? Also one of the wires is broke off the Voes switch. Ik the Voes advances ignition. So now I'm wondering if this is where my starting issues are coming from as I cleaned the carb and changed the intake seals.?? If anyone can chime in that may have dealt with this issue ?Also it is running a stock ignition module

HogMike

Quote from: oldskool on July 19, 2021, 06:03:20 PM
Ok doing some more digging around I found the Voes switch. So I'm thinking the vacuum off intake goes to the Voes switch.??? Also one of the wires is broke off the Voes switch. Ik the Voes advances ignition. So now I'm wondering if this is where my starting issues are coming from as I cleaned the carb and changed the intake seals.?? If anyone can chime in that may have dealt with this issue ?Also it is running a stock ignition module

Yes you should hook up the vacuum switch.
The hose goes from the intake manifold and branches off to the vacuum petcock and the other branch goes to the VOES switch.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know and I'll get my SM out.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

If that vacuum line was open and leaking, that may have been part of the starting issue.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.