April 18, 2024, 01:18:04 AM

News:

Ignition module for a 89 FXR

Started by 1340evo, July 13, 2021, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: turboprop on July 22, 2021, 12:57:00 PM
Lots of wrong information this thread.

1. That '89 big twin (model is irrelevant) had a sensor in the nose cone with a round connector that plugged into the harness.
It really is this simple.

Perhaps if you had bothered to read the whole thread you might have seen this from the OP

Thanks for the info Guy's. I don't have a plug as the guy before soldered everything which does look neater, but also needs re-doing at some point.
things?

Yes! he does not have a plug as the owner before him cut it off.
We are dealing with old bikes that in a lot of cases have had previous owners and they are not stock.

hogget

i'm not sure about the op's problem with not having a 'plug'. my experience is as turbo says, the ultima doesn't plug into the harness, except for the voes wire - i'm pretty sure it just connects to the coils and the little switches are simple to set up
am i missing something?
rory

Scotty

Quote from: hogget on July 22, 2021, 10:49:25 PM
i'm not sure about the op's problem with not having a 'plug'. my experience is as turbo says, the ultima doesn't plug into the harness, except for the voes wire - i'm pretty sure it just connects to the coils and the little switches are simple to set up
am i missing something?
rory

Just pointing out there is no plug and he will have to cut and seal wires from the existing harness as they have been soldered by the previous owner.
Simple if you read the entire thread but not if you jump in and ASSume there is a plug when there is not.

1340evo

yes, not a problem not having a plug at all. Ill maybe put a connector under the side cover (FXR) and I can fit either unit that way by bringing the VOSE and coil wires back to that.

It's in the UK so here soon :)

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on July 23, 2021, 12:32:22 AM
yes, not a problem not having a plug at all. Ill maybe put a connector under the side cover (FXR) and I can fit either unit that way by bringing the VOSE and coil wires back to that.

It's in the UK so here soon :)

That is right there is not problem having no plug and nothing wrong with any information supplied in this thread as someone else suggested.
Besides the male half of the round plug is no longer available and can't be bought except from rip-off merchants on Ebay or some supplier in the USA who won't ship to the UK or Australia  :hyst:

turboprop

No, nothing about the existing harness has to modified or even touched. From the factory the harness has a 12V lead going to one of the terminals on the coil. This provides the power for the aftermarket nose cone ignition module.

Again, simply run the wires from the nose cone module to the coil. No need to do anything to the factory harness and wether the plug for the ignition sensor is present or not is irrelevant. If there are exposed wire ends they should be dealt with but no need to do anything.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Scotty

Quote from: turboprop on July 23, 2021, 08:11:19 AM
No, nothing about the existing harness has to modified or even touched. From the factory the harness has a 12V lead going to one of the terminals on the coil. This provides the power for the aftermarket nose cone ignition module.

Again, simply run the wires from the nose cone module to the coil. No need to do anything to the factory harness and wether the plug for the ignition sensor is present or not is irrelevant. If there are exposed wire ends they should be dealt with but no need to do anything.

You are simply wrong with the first statement as many late model Evo's only have one black/white wire running to one side of the coil and you have to to go back into the harness to find where the white wire joins to that back white wire and separate it from the black/white wire in the harness and join it to the white wire from the new internal ignition to the coil. Since we are talking about Evo's in this thread and not just FXR's you have to consider other people reading this with late model Evo's will read your statement and possibly think that HD just changed the color of the wire when in reality they change how and where.

As per the Dyna 2000i instruction sheet.
3. Coil connection. Typically, there is a white wire from the Run/Stop switch on one of the coil primary terminals. On
the same terminal, there is a second white wire going to the stock ignition module. These wires are the +12V supply
to the coil and the +12V supply wire to the stock ignition module. On the other coil primary terminal, you should find
a pink wire from the stock ignition module. This is the coil minus wire from the ignition module. There may be a
second pink wire from the tach. Remove all these wires from the coil.

Note: On later model bikes, there is only one white wire (w/black stripe) and one pink (w/black stripe) connected to
the coil. The +12 volt supply for the module, and the tach input, are spliced into the harness at some other point.
Locate the original white wire on the bike that is the +12v supply from the ignition switch to the coil (discussed
above). Connect this original white wire and the white wire from the DYNA 2000i to one of the coil primary terminals.
Locate the pink wire from the DYNA 2000i. Connect this wire to the unconnected primary terminal on the coil.

1340evo

Does anyone have a programming cable for these units, or maybe know the pin out for it so I can make one?

they don't sell them any more.

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on August 05, 2021, 09:59:32 AM
Does anyone have a programming cable for these units, or maybe know the pin out for it so I can make one?

Dyna Tech does sell the programing cable for the 2000i, it is currently on their website and shows as in stock. $127.99.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Quote from: turboprop on August 05, 2021, 12:06:51 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on August 05, 2021, 09:59:32 AM

Dyna Tech does sell the programing cable for the 2000i, it is currently on their website and shows as in stock. $127.99.

Ouch.. guess I looked at the copy one someone was doing... same question.. anyone have the pin out for it  :teeth: