March 29, 2024, 04:59:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Feedback on 89"stroker idea ...

Started by Panzer71, July 15, 2021, 06:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer71

Hi again :)

After going back to being a forum lurker for a few years ... I am back with a few questions to the experienced crowd  :teeth:

I am still very happy with the FXR but my mates are going for newer and bigger engines these days (M8 and Twinkies). Prices on new crate engines here in Norway are really high, so buying one locally is not an option for me.

So, I started to think about stroking the original EVO engine. I has just about 16 000miles on it and is running strong with cam and Wiseco pistons.

Being that it was built in 1993 ... do you guys think that my cases will survive a stroker crank? And will I be able to keep using my Wiseco 10.0:1 pistons and my Vthunder EVL 3020 cam? If so, as an added bonus... by going this route I will get to keep the engine serialnumber and thus avoid trouble with the man.

Looking forward to be getting your 2 cents on this idea  :up:

Brgds

Panzer71

Deye76

Enjoy what you have. Bet it runs well.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

:agree:

Those seven more cubic inches are not going to buy you much. You mentioned dudes with newer twinks and M8s, your 80" (82" actually if you do the math) will have no problem staying with any of them, except perhaps in a drag race but I'm assuming you are not doing that, right? 90-95 cases are prone to crack at the apex above the tappet blocks, so I would not mess around with the bottom end. If you are really looking for a bump in power, head work with the right cam is the best option I think.

And no, your stock stroke pistons will not work with a 4-5/8" stroke flywheels. The 89" piston pin location is closer to the crown (shorter compressing height) than stock pistons, and is actually into the oil ring grove. PITA to deal with, if you ask me.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

jsachs1

89" Evo conversions use 1200 cubic inch Sportster pistons. There's also some machine work to be done on the inside of the case, re : crank pin nut clearance. Breather timing should be altered also.
John

Panzer71

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it :)

Deye76: Jup, it runs great with today's setup. Power comes on a bit late for some (not for me) at about 3500rpm and it pulls all the way to redline (6000). Does not use oil in any way and the valvetrain noise is non existent with the EV3020 cam (unlike the Andrews 27 cam which really made a racket).

JW113 and jsachs1: Thank you for educating me. Learned a hole lot about stroking Evos. And I will put this idea to rest. Seems like to much hassle and money without getting enough oomph in return  :teeth:

A S&S 96 or 111 will set me back approx 10 000 USD... and that's without clutch etc. so that's out of the question for now. But will a cleanup/porting of the heads, new springs and a cam with a lift in 0.550 - 0.560 range do make a real difference? Compared to what I run now?

If you guys think the bigger lift cams is not a god idea ... then I will put that to rest as well and enjoy what I have until my pockets are deep enough to buy a bigger engine :)

Panzer71

Deye76

Yeah, I'd put money into the heads, I had a 80" with STD heads, spanked a lot of 95" TC's.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

Horsepower is in the heads, more cubic inches, more compression, more cam, more exhaust, larger TB or Carb. And they all have to be coordinated to work well together.

RTMike

When you have the heads done get them to bump the compression up to 10.5 and seeing you like VThunder cams switch to a 3030 and you have a good combo that is quieter than stock.

JW113

Question: Can you get Ultima engines in Norway? Might look into that, S&S are great but Ultima are a lot of bang for the buck. The engine cases and oil pump I bought from them looked like works for art.

10.5:1 and .630 lift on a set of well flowed heads will make some pretty respectable horsepower out of 80 cubes.

-JW

PkgMan

I've got an 89" stroker evo in a Heritage softail and I love it.  90,xxx miles on it, never a problem
When I first got the bike in '90 it only took me a few months that I needed more, so I sent off my heads to Branch for there #4 workover and put it a Andrew #5 cam in.  Ran real great as long as you kept the revs up so it ended up not being what I wanted. At the time i was following a recurring series in a bike mag that was building an 89", I was influenced so I jumped in

Motor is a S&S 4-5/8" stroke, Branch heads, S&S 561 cam and Super E carb.  Drag pipes (I know, but damn if they don't sound)

Been driven 4,500 mile ea to Sturgis and back at high rates of speed, (3) times and 4,000 miles to Key West.  All trips 2-up and loaded

I say if you can afford it, just my opinion, do it.  Just dont be like me and not install compression releases.  This combo will eat starters :-)

PC_Hater

He lives in Norway. Max speed limit is 50 mph apart from about 3 roads. I never found a speed limit higher than 50mph touring around there.
Apart from that, everything in Norway is expensive. But, if he can afford a Hardley he can probably take a sharp intake of breath and go for it!
Equally the Autobahn and no speed limit is only about 2 days ride away for him...

To the O.P. : do heads and cams. Or sell it and buy a used Twin Cam.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

JW113

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,101846.0.html

Shows what can be done with 80 measly cubic inches. I'll bet this guy has no trouble keeping up with pretty much anybody.

-JW

Panzer71

Hi guys,

Again, thanks a lot for the input!

PC_Hater: Sure its possible to take a deep breath and just dive into it, it all boils down to what to priority ... and life has a way of making a mess in that department  :teeth:

JW113: You can get Ultimas in Norway, although that has been a problem the last year due to Covid. Ultima dealer said there where no engines (in parts, longblocks or complete) available. They even had trouble getting spareparts from Ultima. Pricewise they are about 40% cheaper than a S&S V111. If Ultima delivered complete engines with Mikunis like they did in the past, it would have been a no brainer, but now they use the S&S knock off carburetor. So if you have to replace the carb and the roller rockers before installing the engine it still racks up to a lot of cash ... 

I think I will look for an reputable builder here in Norway, see if i can get the heads done and run a highlift cam. That might just be enough to keep me happy for years to come. As long as my cases can take it of course  :smile:(and should everyting go to "Potty mouth", well ... then a new crate engine would be the next ting. Then the sharp breath will be unavoidable  :teeth:).

Again, thank you all for your input! Much appreciated :)

Panzer71

Hillside Motorcycle

A well built 89" Evo can be a very formidable engine.(Usually 90", or 91" with an overbore, which is common)
Easy to have one running 100/100 even at 10.0 cr.
When wanting more, we've even seen 110/110 plus.
The delivery, and overall broad power will embarrass an 80" owner with an identical build.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Winston Wolf

I just built an 80" with Axtell pistons.  95 HP with a Woods W9 cam and Supertrapp.  In my FXR, it's pretty potent.  You would need a bunch more power in a twin cam to beat it.  Cousin has a Wide Glide with a 107", Hillside heads, TW999 cams and he can't beat me to 100 mph....