April 24, 2024, 11:08:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Frt eng mount R&R

Started by hogpipes1, July 15, 2021, 09:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

2003 FLHTC 27K MILES   - Only  Replaced frt iso mount   with  a Urethane  type  from  drag . Mount is lined up and center bolt drops right threw. Bike vibs  like the fairing is going to come off from idle -2k rpm. I had to loosen the center bolt up so its finger tight,  to keep the bike from shaking apart. Are these Urethane type  that stiff they have a break in period? The old one  OE  was ripped on bottom  and eng did do it's dance ,but always was smooth from idle on up to 5k rpm.  thanks

fbn ent

Urethane anything are stiff in my experience.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

July 15, 2021, 10:17:54 AM #2 Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:00:19 PM by rigidthumper
Read THIS
KD

Cozz

I had the same experience with the DS mount a couple years ago. Threw it right in the trash. Went with a glide pro. If I needed one right now, I would get the nice cushy one that the bike came with when it was new. It's in the link in kd's post.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

guido4198

Quote from: fbn ent on July 15, 2021, 09:54:01 AM
YUP. That's been my experience as well.
I believe the appeal of using Urethane has been to intentionally "stiffen up" the handling of the bike. In some applications and riding conditions I can understand how that is desirable. In most of those applications you have to be willing to accept a trade-off. There's been a LOT of conversation on this forum and others across the internet on front motor mounts. I recommend anyone replacing one do a LOT of reading before making a purchase so they understand what they might be giving up.
27k doesn't seem like very many miles to be replacing the factory mount. I understand it's 18 yrs old, and recognize that simple age might create an issue but I don't know how age affects the original part. My 36 yr old bike never sat that much. Perhaps someone with more experience bringing one of the older, low-mile bikes that keep popping up back to life will comment.

PC_Hater

If you dig deep on HTT there is a post from somebody saying that in the factory manual for the Police bikes it says to replace the engine mounts every 20,000 miles.
I copied that into the Service Intervals in my manual many years ago.

I used the Glide-Pro because it was cheaper in the UK than any of the HD mounts or Buell mounts.
Slightly more vibes at tickover, nicely smooth at other rpm.
Currently has 30,000 miles or so on it.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hogpipes1

Quote from: guido4198 on July 16, 2021, 01:59:11 AM
Quote from: fbn ent on July 15, 2021, 09:54:01 AM
YUP. That's been my experience as well.
I believe the appeal of using Urethane has been to intentionally "stiffen up" the handling of the bike. In some applications and riding conditions I can understand how that is desirable. In most of those applications you have to be willing to accept a trade-off. There's been a LOT of conversation on this forum and others across the internet on front motor mounts. I recommend anyone replacing one do a LOT of reading before making a purchase so they understand what they might be giving up.
27k doesn't seem like very many miles to be replacing the factory mount. I understand it's 18 yrs old, and recognize that simple age might create an issue but I don't know how age affects the original part. My 36 yr old bike never sat that much. Perhaps someone with more experience bringing one of the older, low-mile bikes that keep popping up back to life will comment.
The rubber was torn on the bottom you need to get  down and give it a good look with mirror. Oil filter draining on top doesn't help. If this mount does not smooth out, I'll just get a factory stock one and be done with it. I can't see the shop putting one of these drag urethane mounts on .And having a happy customer right off shaking the "Potty mouth" out of his bike down the road.

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on July 15, 2021, 10:17:54 AM
Read THIS

This is good stuff. Put one in my old FLH a little while ago. Very smooth. No chatter of fairing and winshield when taking off from a light and nice and smooth at on the highway. Bike hasn't been this smooth since it was new.. 21 years ago and 117,000 mi.  The price is right on these mounts to.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor