April 24, 2024, 05:57:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

05 117 Crank Position Sensor

Started by Don D, July 18, 2021, 04:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

This is an S&S crank in 05 cases with timkens. Can't tell what that is sticking out the crank position sensor and what took it out.

kd

WAG it's an inner cam bearing roller.  It appears to have a typical radiused end protruding.  I'm thinking it found it's way into the valley of the crank dogs.  Because that part of the crank runs so close to the sensor it was driven in as it passed.  Did the engine quit running and you found it while trouble shooting?  Was there earlier cam bearing problems or changes?  Have you looked at the cam bearings that are in it now?
KD

Don D

Man you may be right but the thing is flattened like a pancake, looks like an electrical lug now. This is a new engine, Now the fix. Customer is pulling the pan and cleaning everything. I guess I will have to break it all the way down.

kd

I guess there is a number of ways it could have been squeezed and partially flattened.  Knowing now that it was a "new" engine (I take that to mean freshly built) the cam bearings were likely changed and it wouldn't be the first time a roller got away and fell into the crank chamber.  If so, it probably happened on removal of the old brg. assembly and it came apart but the needles weren't counted to account for any loss.  It has happened before.  The customer may be able to enlighten you. You might find a spot where it was jammed between the wheels and cases or rods and got flattened.  For sure it's an interesting coincidental failure.  I guess you'll find out with a deeper inspection.
KD

Dogbone45ACP

Don, I think I'd be checking the flywheels on that one.

SP33DY

Harley made 5 different Crank Position sensors for big twins. Are you sure they had the correct sensor installed? In 2005 the FLHT & FXST used 32707-01B but a FXD used 32798-04A. I think that the difference in the Dyna sensor is cable length, but sensors from other years may have longer or shorter bodies protruding into the case. I had a customer who brought me a crank to check out because he was eating Crank Position sensors. Flywheels checked dead nuts true. I suggested to him that maybe he had the wrong sensor. I never heard from him, so I'm inclined to think that's what he found.

kd

If that's the case, I'll bet that the correct (or even wrong) sensor didn't have a piece of steel driven into it like the one Don shows a pic of.
KD

SP33DY

Quote from: kd on July 19, 2021, 02:29:24 PM
If that's the case, I'll bet that the correct (or even wrong) sensor didn't have a piece of steel driven into it like the one Don shows a pic of.

KD you got that right! My bad for not taking a better look at the picture. That piece of metal spells trouble.

kd

:agree: :up:  I'm thinkin Don will have an interesting story for us.  :teeth:
KD

Don D

It's an overhaul 100%. Main bearing cage piece is what is in the photo. All salvageable with new parts but not pretty.

kd

I considered that because I had that happen to me on a trip one time.  It was the pinion "outer" cage though and it made short work of the oil pump real quick.  I actually noticed the gauge drop and saved the crank.  It still meant a full tear down though.
KD