March 28, 2024, 06:54:17 AM

News:

Still not Charging

Started by speed limit, July 19, 2021, 12:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speed limit

I have replaced Battery,Stator twice,Rotor, rectifier, even the 50 stater relay on my 98 carb Rk and it still won't charge what else can it be?
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

1340evo

I ran an additional earth wire on mine, from the rectifier dirrect to the battery. I wasn't getting a good earth after my frame re-paint. They rely on crinkle washers to bite through the paint and into the frame and give a good conection.
May be worth a try if you're getting an output from the engine but nothing or little at the battery.

:)

kd

Do you have a ground lug on the frame backbone up under the rear of the fuel tank?  You can access it by removing the seat. It is problematic.  I have seen a new battery deemed bad because it was loose or not grounding well preventing a proper charge rate.  It should also have a star washer to ensure it is biting into the frame under the paint. 
KD

Tacocaster

Hmmm.... a '98 RK..... wasn't HD still depending on a ground to frame at the regulator/rectifier mounting point? (single wire on DC side of Reg).
If yes, my approach would be to run a test wire from a known good ground point to the body of the Rec/Reg and see if the battery charge voltage responds appropriately. If yes, clean-up the Rec/Reg mounting points to ensure good frame contact (star washers would help).
Good luck!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

xlfan

Does it turn out VAC at all @ stator output plug?

fleetmechanic

Since you have replaced just about everything I would really look hard at the ground status.

speed limit

Thanks everyone  I went through everything again today scuffed
up both ground post and cleaned all connections now I'm getting 13 volts at the battery.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Burnout

:gob:  I always replace parts before checking the ground!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hogget

Quote from: Burnout on July 20, 2021, 07:09:04 PM
me too, if i was good at diagnosing, i would have been a doctor  :wink:

guido4198

Quote from: Burnout on July 20, 2021, 07:09:04 PM
:SM: I usually start replacing parts before verifying that the NEW battery is not faulty, straight from the manufacturer.  :banghead:
Doesn't solve my starting problem...but it does help build up a nice inventory of spares for the day when they really are the problem.  :bike:

motorhogman

Quote from: speed limit on July 20, 2021, 06:06:43 PM
Thanks everyone  I went through everything again today scuffed
up both ground post and cleaned all connections now I'm getting 13 volts at the battery.

13 V is a bit low..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

:agree:  It would be interesting to see the results of the full range of factory tests such as the wild charging rate with the regulator out of the system etc.   It may tell a story that can be properly analyzed to target the real problem through the manual troubleshooting procedure.  Some of the recent test runs may have perpetuated damages to good components.
KD

Tacocaster

...and I'm curious to see what the DC voltage is at the MAX fuse to Battery Neg (ground) post while bike running.

On a trouble we were chasing recently we found the voltage good at this point (steady 14VDC) but across the battery terminals it was low (erratic 13VDC). Found loose connection at Starter Positive Lug to be the culprit in our case.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Ironheadmike

Did you check the charging above 2000 rpm ? It doe not start charging until you are at 2000 or above .

Hossamania

Quote from: Ironheadmike on December 24, 2021, 09:16:15 AMDid you check the charging above 2000 rpm ? It doe not start charging until you are at 2000 or above .

That. And has the stator been checked for output per the manual?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.