March 28, 2024, 10:08:59 PM

News:

Oil in tank but not in crankcase

Started by FootLoose59, July 21, 2021, 09:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FootLoose59

I have a 2008 Softail Deluxe with 100,000+ miles. I use 20W50 full synthetic. Recently went on a ride and was caught up in a traffic jam on a 95+ degree day with no breeze. The bike shut down and spewed out some oil from the oil tank filler. I moved the bike out of traffic and let it cool down for an hour+. It started up fine and made it home OK. No noticeable issues, smoke or noises except the engine seemed very hot imho after just 15 minutes to the house.

I proceeded to replace all 3 lubricants after this. After running the bike for about 6 minutes (again without any noticeable concerns), I drained and replaced the lubricants and oil filter as I have done before. Lastly, I added about 2.5 quarts of oil for the engine to do the scavenging as I've done before. The oil pump removed the scavenged old oil but no new oil was replacing it. The oil tank is still at the same level after scavenging.

Any guidance as to what is wrong would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to open up the crankcase if needed. My thoughts are a clogged line or strainer, bad oil pump??? FYI, all 3 magnetic plugs were clean(?), some metal dust but no chips.

FootLoose59
FootLoose59

Hossamania

Is the oil/engine light off? Can you see the oil circulating in the tank?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FootLoose59

To scavenge, I pulled the plug wires and removed the return oil line. The motor was then turned over for a few seconds to pump out the old oil and to pull in the new. This was done twice to remove the old oil and after each I checked the oil tank level which did not change. I did not notice the oil light and did not see any oil moving in the oil tank.
FootLoose59

FootLoose59

Also note I pulled the new filter and found it dry.
FootLoose59

kd

Do you always  remove the plug in the bottom of the crankcase?  Was the filter dry - dry as never had oil in it or empty with oil residue in it indicating it had drained out.  What / who's manufacture of filter are you using?
KD

Tynker

Quote from: FootLoose59 on July 21, 2021, 10:46:18 AM
Also note I pulled the new filter and found it dry.

Oik pump not working, shared key maybe.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Appowner

Sounds like a "Tango Uniform" oil pump to me.  Unless something really odd happened to plug up the feed line.

koko3052

To the OP, have you found out what the issue was?