April 20, 2024, 06:23:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 585 compression?

Started by Tattoo, July 23, 2021, 08:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

Hey guys its been awhile since I have been on but I know I can count on the input on this forum. My current bike is a 2013 FLHX that im doing a S&S 110" upgrade with T-Man "Street Performer" heads. Im ruunning a Supertrapp Super Meg 2into1 along with aset of S&S 585 cams. My question is what compression should I set those 585 cams up with? I want some nice midrange with some good top end. I will be runnig a .030" head gasket as well.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Don D

Well the heads are where now? Those pistons have a .8cc dome. Your deck height will be? Ballpark, without knowing all the numbers, is 85-86cc to get to a 10.7

Tattoo

The heads are stock and are being shipped to T-Man, I was just wondering what compression that cam likes in a bagger as i have never used them before.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Don D

10.5-10.7, the lower being my preference and not be so fussy with the tune.

Johnwesley

Min came in at 10.5 was shooting for 10.7. It runs well and isn't fussy in a 110 the midrange should be even better.
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

Hillside Motorcycle

T-Man should be able to make a great recommendation. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

m1marty

Mine is set at 10.4 with the supplied .045
Does ok. I plan on .030s to get around 10.8 and a few other little things this winter.
[attach=0]
OFFO

dsvracer

personally i would leave that one alone. graph looks awesome and i am sure it runs well. a .030 head gasket will not make much differance, maybe a couple hp . not worth the trouble.
Just my opinion. dsv

RTMike

m1marty

Quote from: dsvracer on August 11, 2021, 06:44:24 AM
personally i would leave that one alone. graph looks awesome and i am sure it runs well. a .030 head gasket will not make much differance, maybe a couple hp . not worth the trouble.
Just my opinion. dsv
I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome with what amounts to a pretty moderate list of parts and a pretty sedate CCP. HDSP heads from a 2014 103 tq biased build (1.9/1.57, 1.710) HPi 55mm, 5.3 injectors, S&S Stealth AC and Khromewerks 2-2 system using the "spoon" baffle.
I build and tune myself (and live about 20 minutes from Don). There's a few things I would like to try with this combo, raising comp just being one of them.
If this were a customer's bike- absolutely would it be left alone. Being mine? I'll "fix it broken" yet haha! :hyst:
Plus it gives me a baseline on where I'll be comfortable using this cam in the future. I know it does well at 10.4 with good parts so far.
OFFO