April 20, 2024, 01:34:59 AM

News:

5 3/4 " Headlight upgrade

Started by hbkeith, July 23, 2021, 10:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

July 23, 2021, 10:29:26 AM Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:45:51 AM by hbkeith
Looking to upgrade the stock Headlight on my 92 FXR  , I want something that has distance , lights up a dark country road . And my limited experiance with LED is I dont like the cutoff line ( no distance on high beam)

Coff 06

I went with CowOne upgrade on mine.The light is definitely different,and a lot more light.     Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

tdrglide

I run a 5-3/4 Candlepower H4 upgrade on my 92fxr. Way better. Can ride at night again. But  there were availability issues awhile back with the reflectors. Don't know about now.
Stock seal beam was useless for me

RedFXR2

I went through several inexpensive plug-n-play LED headlights from ebay in my 1999 FXR2 and they all produced lots of light but the light never went where it was needed.  So I got a recent-issue OEM HD lens 68380-05 and a Sylvania Silverstar H4 Halogen bulb and while it's not perfect, it sends more useable light out than the original H4 lens or any of the cheap eBay LED units.  I also tried LED H4 bulbs in my 68380-05 lens but their is a mismatch between the flat LED chip and the conical design of the reflector, meaning again, lots of light produced but it's largely wasted in terms of illuminating a dark road.  All of these LED's will be a torch to oncoming traffic in daylight, but when you need them to light up a dark road at night, many will disappoint.

There are very expensive LED light assemblies out there that allegedly are very good but I so seldom ride at night it's hard to justify the cost.

jmorton10

When I had an FXR a buddy who worked in a sports car supply gave me a Cibie light to try.

The difference was night & day better than the stock setup.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

RedFXR2

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 23, 2021, 03:51:49 PM
When I had an FXR a buddy who worked in a sports car supply gave me a Cibie light to try.

The difference was night & day better than the stock setup.

Oh yeah.  Most likely not DOT legal but great output.  Very different lens and reflector for Europe than the US.

FXDBI

Bought a 7in Truck lite and acquired a 7in bucket for it and changed mine right out, 2006 Dyna not a FXR lots of light now.  Bob

Ohio HD

Contact Daniel Stern. He's set me up with high quality lighting without breaking the bank.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

The photos don't give an accurate view of just how bright this light is.
A late model Jeep reflector and an H13 bulb.

Low beam on my Ultra
[attach=0]

High beam, shoots way down the road.
[attach=1]

hbkeith

Thanks , Think i bought a Reflector from Daniel Strern before

98fxstc

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 23, 2021, 07:11:45 PM
Contact Daniel Stern. He's set me up with high quality lighting without breaking the bank.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

The photos don't give an accurate view of just how bright this light is.
A late model Jeep reflector and an H13 bulb.

Low beam on my Ultra
[attach=0,msg1391272]

High beam, shoots way down the road.
[attach=1,msg1391272]

Hi Brian
Do you have a model number for that reflector ?
Thanks

Ohio HD

This is the info I collected.

OEM number 55078148AD (this is an assembly, you only need the reflector) 2007 to 2017 Jeep.

Casting # 55078111AA

Hollander # 114-01004

You also need an adapter from H4 to H13 bulb. Just search for this.
AA1085 H4 (9003) to H13 (9008) adapter

[attach=0,msg1391377]

[attach=1,msg1391377]

[attach=2,msg1391377]

[attach=3,msg1391377]

98fxstc

Thank you Brian
much appreciated

PoorUB

I ran a Cibie European reflector on my '05 Ultra from Daniel Stern. I don't know why the USA doesn't allow then. Distinct horizontal cut off on the light, no light going up, all ahead. Pulling up to my garage door at night it really showed up, just a flat horizontal line about 3 feet up, dark above, light below. I ran a 100 watt high beam with a relay pulling power right from the battery on high beam. There was a good 1 volt or better drop in the lighting circuit on high beam, full battery voltage afterwards. I also ran 50 watt narrow beam spots on the passing lights. I liked them, but they had a short lifespan. I kept a couple on the shelf for spares.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

tdrglide

If upgrading headlight on your FXR, you should consider adding a spdt relay. With the added wattage through your dimmer/bright switch. Solid state automotive blower relay easily fits inside bucket.

tdrglide

The drawing is a little crude but this is what I did with my FXR. Was replacing switches anyways. Was surprised how small gauge the wires that came with the kit were, anyways I didn't feel comfortable, so..
There is a copy inside bucket for the next guy.

I see danielsternlighting offers relay kits. Good website. Lots of information.

hbkeith

Anyone have a direct E Mail for Daniel Stern ? dont like the have to sign in to a server to send a E Mail

FSG