April 25, 2024, 05:49:56 AM

News:

'14 Ultra Limited, no coolant

Started by Eccool, July 27, 2021, 01:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

I got my bike back from the indy after the 25k service.  I almost immediately noticed the thing seemed to be running a little hotter than usual, but we only had mild weather until lately.  Sunday I rode it 25 miles when it was 89 degrees out and the thing felt like it was on fire.  I got it back home and checked it and the coolant was completely empty.  I assumed he drained it during the 25k (although the manual only calls for it to be changed at 30k) and forgot to fill it.  To be fair to him though, I almost never check the coolant level.  My question is, do I simply add coolant or is there something else that I need to be concerned about?  Thanks!

Hossamania

Personally I'd be concerned, I would definitely discuss it with the service manager. It needs coolant, whether you do it, or he does it. If he's doing it, he should pick it up in a trailer and return it. I would not ride it until the coolant is in.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Even so, I would discuss some type of warranty, or engine health check, not sure what that would entail, but I would make it known that I'm not happy and worry about the longevity of the motor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

I'm clueless with these new bikes but.. Every vehicle I've owned over the past the past 20 years from a Mack Granite class 8 truck, Ford Explorer,F350, Ford Escape, Honda civic.. Every one of them has or had a "low coolant" warning light.. Did HD miss this simple sensor..  I know that 2014 was early in the Twin cooled arena.. BUT ?  I hope No damage was done.   
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Eccool

Thanks guys.  It's a one man indy, so no service manager to discuss it with (obviously there's the owner I can talk to).  Also, no low coolant light.  There is an engine coolant temperature lamp, but it never came on.

Lone Ranger

I doubt it hurt the engine. The coolant just helps cool the heads. If you were riding normal highway speeds enough air should have moved through the engine. I think all the heat you felt was exhaust getting extremely hot.

rigidthumper

The system holds less than a quart, and you're looking at the reservoir bottle. He may have never touched it (or even checked it, possibly).
I've seen pump failures on 2014/2015 twin cooled bikes that the guys just continued to ride for vacation a week after the coolant light came on, with no apparent ill effects. We put the latest M8 pumps on, which seem to be better overall.
Have him fill the reserve bottle, and check/top off the system.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Yep, I wouldn't worry about any damage.

As for filling it, my understanding they need to be filled using a vacuum tool, take your pick on Amazon! The coolant system will not flush out the air out of the system without it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=antifreeze+vacuum+refill+system&crid=VYIJPLZEDXEV&sprefix=antifresze+vacuum%2Caps%2C215&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_17
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Justpassingas

FWIW my 2016 twin cooled Limited just had the water pump replaced because it failed. When the bike reached engine temp the Check Engine light would come on along with a red coolant light.
For Duty and Humanity

jamminhd2000

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 27, 2021, 06:06:06 PM
The system holds less than a quart, and you're looking at the reservoir bottle. He may have never touched it (or even checked it, possibly).
I've seen pump failures on 2014/2015 twin cooled bikes that the guys just continued to ride for vacation a week after the coolant light came on, with no apparent ill effects. We put the latest M8 pumps on, which seem to be better overall.
Have him fill the reserve bottle, and check/top off the system.
:agree:
I have seen the same problem a couple of times in my shop...both were 14 limited....same solution as rigid thumper...put in updated coolant pump....jimmy

Eccool