April 23, 2024, 01:43:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TechnoResearch tuning??

Started by teknition, July 27, 2021, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

Quote from: Coyote on August 09, 2021, 03:57:34 PM
I would never use the Smooth function to make the graphs look pretty.  The problem you are (and going) to have is collecting data in areas where you aren't spending enough time to make the PV happy it's collected valid data. If it doesn't get enough data to set the VEs, they simply won't change. This is were a dyno excels as it can hold those hard to get to RPM/MAP locations so data is collected.

Rather than use smoothing to muck things up, do a tune session and then compare the VEs from before and after the run. Cells that didn't change are cells that didn't tune. You may be surprised how many there are.

Seeing that with the auto tune takes 160kph in third to get to redline, basically have to hit redline in each gear to populate all the squares. Its just not possible on the street.   Bob

Coyote

Quote from: FXDBI on August 09, 2021, 04:09:27 PM
Quote from: Coyote on August 09, 2021, 03:57:34 PM
I would never use the Smooth function to make the graphs look pretty.  The problem you are (and going) to have is collecting data in areas where you aren't spending enough time to make the PV happy it's collected valid data. If it doesn't get enough data to set the VEs, they simply won't change. This is were a dyno excels as it can hold those hard to get to RPM/MAP locations so data is collected.

Rather than use smoothing to muck things up, do a tune session and then compare the VEs from before and after the run. Cells that didn't change are cells that didn't tune. You may be surprised how many there are.

Seeing that with the auto tune takes 160kph in third to get to redline, basically have to hit redline in each gear to populate all the squares. Its just not possible on the street.   Bob

I could get almost everywhere street tuning but it did require some very steep up and down hills to do it (rural is best). If you're on flat roads, it ain't gonna happen.

teknition

The bike has been auto tuned through all the gears numerous times up to 6200 RPM except for 6th where I only made it to 5600 before pulling the cork. Who is to say what happens on an empty highway in the wee hours of the morning when no one with a radar gun is around?

I'm beginning to regret building this. I thought the actual build part of this would be the hardest part and didn't realize getting a tune on this would be such a huge pain in the anal orifice.

98fxstc

I put a lot of dollars and time and effort into my build and would be happy to pay for a pro tune if l could get one. I would have to travel for 3 to 4 days each way.
The tune is the icing on the cake.
I have done the best l can with TTS and that was a huge learning curve.

guydoc77

Quote from: teknition on August 09, 2021, 06:29:46 PM
The bike has been auto tuned through all the gears numerous times up to 6200 RPM except for 6th where I only made it to 5600 before pulling the cork. Who is to say what happens on an empty highway in the wee hours of the morning when no one with a radar gun is around?

I'm beginning to regret building this. I thought the actual build part of this would be the hardest part and didn't realize getting a tune on this would be such a huge pain in the anal orifice.

Well there is a bright side. I would say you are quite a ways ahead of many who do an engine build and don't even consider the absolute importance of a proper tune. Or the many who scoff at an extra $500-$1000 for a tuning device and dyno tune.

The best of the tuners in my opinion not only know how an internal combustion engine works and how different components change how said engine works, they also know the various hardware and software, how to interpret gathered data, and how to apply that data. I would go so far as to say that the best of them are artists as well. I was shellacked once on here for suggesting that but I really believe it.  Good luck to you and persevere.

FXDBI

So when you scale up on the powervision because the VE's are high is this a sign the injectors are to small? It bumps the engine size up to adjust?   Bob

Coyote

Not if your injectors max duty cycle is in range.

FXDBI

Quote from: Coyote on August 09, 2021, 09:33:59 PM

:scratch:  Where or how would I find that data?  TIA  Bob

Coyote

Quote from: FXDBI on August 09, 2021, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: Coyote on August 09, 2021, 09:33:59 PM

:scratch:  Where or how would I find that data?  TIA  Bob

Injector pulse width is a data log value. Once it reaches 85% or so duty cycle (at a given RPM), you should consider a bigger injector.