April 16, 2024, 08:54:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

torques for a 120R head

Started by fbn ent, July 29, 2021, 03:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Is there any difference from stock in head bolt torque for a 120R?  :nix:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

If it's OEM head gasket use HD's procedure. If a Cometic head gasket , use their procedure.

kd

:agree:  What Ohio said.   I've  been beating on one for 3 years with Cometic .030 gaskets torqued  the way they say and still nice and dry.
KD

fbn ent

The guy up the alley was asking. He's using HD. Personally, I use Cometic to their spec.

kd

I agree. Especially with the rubber microfilm they have for insurance. Cometic will mail them out quick if he wants them.  Their base gaskets are top quality too.  Get em both at the same time and spares if he wants. At least that's what I did and was glad when I pulled a barrel to inspect the ring alignment to have them on hand.
KD

fbn ent

He's not the listening type....

kd

Then you have to ask yourself why he asks these questions.  I know my OL asks me my opinion on decorating stuff so she knows what she won't be doing.  Apparently trophy deer heads, antlers and fish don't go in the living room.  :hyst:
KD

turboprop

Quote from: fbn ent on July 29, 2021, 03:52:59 PM
Is there any difference from stock in head bolt torque for a 120R?  :nix:

The type of head castings does not change the torque values.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

fbn ent

I didn't think so as the studs are the same....

Don D

July 30, 2021, 06:37:05 AM #9 Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:56:31 AM by HD Street Performance
Cometic is 6 weeks behind and has zero stock on hand. Drag Specialties has some of Cometics numbers in their warehouses. Cyco has the gaskets you need. By the way the original gaskets used on the 120R are Cometic, a .045 head (may be .040 been a long time since I had one here) and .020 base.

kd

That's interesting info on the OEM gaskets.  I am embarrassed that I have had them in my hands so often and not noticed.  FWIW, I measured the crushed OEM and Cometic gaskets for final used sizing and they were right on the advertised dimension.
KD

jsachs1

A lot of the manufacturers are supplying the warehouse distributors first. When they get caught up, they will start to fill individual orders.
John

Hillside Motorcycle

Use the described torque values that Cometic outlines.
Shy of that, a high tensile yield cylinder stud such as the units manufactured by ARP, are the only addition that one can use, to help secure the clamping load.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

fbn ent

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on August 02, 2021, 03:35:45 AM
Use the described torque values that Cometic outlines.
Shy of that, a high tensile yield cylinder stud such as the units manufactured by ARP, are the only addition that one can use, to help secure the clamping load.

:up: