April 30, 2024, 03:01:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Knock off carbs

Started by Reddog74usa, August 06, 2021, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I know they have been selling the copies of the S&S and CV carbs on eBay but didn't know they had moved into the Mikuni carbs and unfortunately I ended up with one. I could feel the difference just in the weight of it when I took it out of the box. I don't like supporting the theft of intellectual property and am trying to return  the mik 42 copy but if I can't has anyone tried one of these? If so, how did it work out?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

JW113

Do you know for fact that it is theft of intellectual property? Just curious.

And no, I have not tried one, but I do have a knock off CV-40, and it works great.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Appowner

Any theft depends on when the original was designed and a Patent obtained.  Prior to 1995 a patent was good for 17 years.  After 95 it went to 20 years.

Once the patent expires the protection from exploitation wanes. You no longer own the exclusive rights to the invention, and the proprietary information about your invention becomes available to the public. This means other people can create, improve upon, sell, import, distribute, and claim your invention for themselves without your permission.

So assuming the Mikuni 42 has/had a patent, the question becomes a matter of when it was filed?

Still, I for one don't care for the asian knock offs either.  And would prefer an original for most things.

hattitude

Can you still get an original CV40 carb....???

Or are they all knock offs...?

Reddog74usa

Well since I have it I thought I should give it a try. First thing I noticed is the needle is unmarked so it's a crap shoot for the size, threads on the jets don't seem to be the correct size as I had to turn the driver on the hard side to get the main jet swapped as I thought I should try it with the real Mike jets. As I installed the air cleaner backing plate the allen heads just stripped right off one of the screws as I was tightening it up so I kinda knew how this was gonna turn out but still I pushed forward. Once I got it all installed the bike was hard to start and once it did it would only idle and only with the enrichner all the way on. It wouldn't take fuel at all. Jets were a 97 needle, 22 pilot and a 160 main. I didn't waste to much time with it and promptly removed it and put the original CV back on and she runs great. I'm glad to see some get lucky with some of these knock off parts but I have never been that fortunate. Every time I try to save a buck or just settle for a low quality part it comes back to bite me so I stopped buying that crap a long time ago and ended up with this door stop because the seller lied about it being a real Mik. Thought I'd just share my experience and it helps someone else in the future....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

smoserx1

QuoteCan you still get an original CV40 carb....???

Ronnie's is still showing 27412-99D which is the one for my 99 FLHT,  $435.49...OUCH!

Ohio HD

You can still buy the Mikuni HSR42 Smoothbore carburetor kits for HD's as well.

HogMike

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 08, 2021, 12:13:16 PM

And, IMHO they work very well!
Had one on my evo when it was 93", have one still on my 95" twin cam

:missed:
:hug:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Quote from: HogMike on August 08, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 08, 2021, 12:13:16 PM

And, IMHO they work very well!
Had one on my evo when it was 93", have one still on my 95" twin cam

:missed:
:hug:

That is probably what I will move to when my CV44 wears out completely, if I can't get another.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

I tried one of the CV knockoffs and didn't care for it.  I would opt for the real thing.   I need to rebuild the carb on an ATV I bought.  $20 for a carb kit or $42 for a Carb, air cleaner and fuel filter. While it was tempting, I went for the kit in the OEM carb. 

jsachs1

Quote from: Reddog74usa on August 08, 2021, 10:35:30 AM
Well since I have it I thought I should give it a try. First thing I noticed is the needle is unmarked so it's a crap shoot for the size, threads on the jets don't seem to be the correct size as I had to turn the driver on the hard side to get the main jet swapped as I thought I should try it with the real Mike jets. As I installed the air cleaner backing plate the allen heads just stripped right off one of the screws as I was tightening it up so I kinda knew how this was gonna turn out but still I pushed forward. Once I got it all installed the bike was hard to start and once it did it would only idle and only with the enrichner all the way on. It wouldn't take fuel at all. Jets were a 97 needle, 22 pilot and a 160 main. I didn't waste to much time with it and promptly removed it and put the original CV back on and she runs great. I'm glad to see some get lucky with some of these knock off parts but I have never been that fortunate. Every time I try to save a buck or just settle for a low quality part it comes back to bite me so I stopped buying that crap a long time ago and ended up with this door stop because the seller lied about it being a real Mik. Thought I'd just share my experience and it helps someone else in the future....

Steve, call Fox distributing in Ill. They are the best for MIK.
John

Reddog74usa

Thanks John, Hope all is goin good...
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hattitude

Quote from: smoserx1 on August 08, 2021, 11:53:32 AM
QuoteCan you still get an original CV40 carb....???

Ronnie's is still showing 27412-99D which is the one for my 99 FLHT,  $435.49...OUCH!

Ouch is right....

So much for getting a spare to keep on the shelf....    :SM:

Appowner

Have you had any luck contacting the seller for a return?

You might be able to get their attention by cancelling the payment be it credit card or paypal.  Simply say, "The product is not as advertised, it doesn't work, quality is nonexistent and the seller has not responded to requests for return/refund."

The only way to reduce if not stop this kind of junk is for everyone to go to the trouble of fighting it when it occurs.