2018 FLTRX momentarily loosing injector/ coil signals

Started by Just Nick, August 12, 2021, 12:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Nick

Got a bike come in that is having a runnabilty issue when ever you roll on or whack the throttle it will cut out momentarily then come back when you let. So i threw it up on the drum to watch it with twin tec and centurion and i see the injector PW and and coil drop out both cylinders so looking at the wiring diagram i can see terminal 16 ECM is system power goes to both injectors and coil power through the BCM, ECM, fuse, cooling relay i have tested for a short to ground on that wire R/GN and it is good i have checked every connection/terminal on it from front to back and they are all good so my only real question is has anyone run into this before and what did it end up being ? i will continue to test things out to tripple check its not a wiring type issue before we start to blame the ecm or bcm.    Thanks in advance for any valuable input.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

biggzed

My 2007 Road Glide did this. It would cut out on hard throttle in lower gears. Ease into it and it ran perfect. It turned out to be a broken wire right where the factory put a cable tie. They cinched it down to tight and eventually the wire broke inside the insulation. The motor was moving enough on hard acceleration in those lower gears to make it rock and break the wire connection. Off throttle or light throttle it was making just enough of a connection to run properly.

Took my dealers service manager hours upon hours to figure it out.

Good luck.

Zach

Just Nick

Hrs and Hrs is correct i am in the process of testing every wire from ecm/bcm to injectors now to see if theres a break in it somewhere while hoping its not a module issue.    Thank you for your reply

Quote from: biggzed on August 16, 2021, 10:47:44 AM
My 2007 Road Glide did this. It would cut out on hard throttle in lower gears. Ease into it and it ran perfect. It turned out to be a broken wire right where the factory put a cable tie. They cinched it down to tight and eventually the wire broke inside the insulation. The motor was moving enough on hard acceleration in those lower gears to make it rock and break the wire connection. Off throttle or light throttle it was making just enough of a connection to run properly.

Good luck.

Zach

biggzed

Mine would only lose connection when the engine rocked, so testing it with the bike off sitting on a lift would never have shown it.
Keep at it. Good luck.

Zach

Quote from: Just Nick on August 17, 2021, 08:03:36 AM
Hrs and Hrs is correct i am in the process of testing every wire from ecm/bcm to injectors now to see if theres a break in it somewhere while hoping its not a module issue.    Thank you for your reply

Good luck.

Zach

Just Nick

on your 2007 FL there was a factory issue back then we used to run into alot because the factory made the injector wires to short on the rubber mounted engines and over time it would pull the wire out of the terminal or just break the wire at the seal for the injector connector. I cant tell you how many bike i have extended the injector wires on to fix or as preventive back then. I have not run into that on the m8 bikes yet but it was the very first thing we checked once i was able to watch what was going on with daytona twin tec and techno centurion on the dyno. At this point i am starting to lean towards the ecm or bcm causing the problem as i have already checked every terminal and every sq inch of the r/gn system power wiring that supplies the injectors and coil. its not the glamorus side of this job but its still somewhat fun i guess.  :SM:

Quote from: biggzed on August 20, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
Mine would only lose connection when the engine rocked, so testing it with the bike off sitting on a lift would never have shown it.
Keep at it. Good luck.

Zach

Good luck.

Zach

biggzed

I wasn't aware that was a known issue on my 07. Bike is long gone now, but still good to know. I'm sure you will get this one licked soon.

Thanks,
Zach

Quote from: Just Nick on August 20, 2021, 09:24:32 AM
on your 2007 FL there was a factory issue back then we used to run into alot because the factory made the injector wires to short on the rubber mounted engines and over time it would pull the wire out of the terminal or just break the wire at the seal for the injector connector. I cant tell you how many bike i have extended the injector wires on to fix or as preventive back then. I have not run into that on the m8 bikes yet but it was the very first thing we checked once i was able to watch what was going on with daytona twin tec and techno centurion on the dyno. At this point i am starting to lean towards the ecm or bcm causing the problem as i have already checked every terminal and every sq inch of the r/gn system power wiring that supplies the injectors and coil. its not the glamorus side of this job but its still somewhat fun i guess.  :SM:

Quote from: biggzed on August 20, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
Keep at it. Good luck.

Zach

Good luck.

Zach