April 18, 2024, 03:32:53 AM

News:

Cable clutch for 2016 street glide

Started by dheath9994, August 07, 2021, 01:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

Been having nothing but issues with my hydraulic clutch on my 2016 street glide and I've come to the conclusion I'd rather just go to a cable clutch at this point. I'm kinda shocked all the issues people have had with them over the years that a kit for this doesn't exist but I'm assuming I could buy all parts for a 2011-13 street glide and they should bolt right on to my bike?

Has anyone done this and know exactly what parts I need to order to get the job done? Thanks in advance

smoserx1

Just took a look at Ronnie's site and the images for a 16 SG.  Interestingly for both the clutch assembly and the actuating assembly (right end of the transmission housing) it is showing both sets of parts for a hydraulic setup and a cable setup.  However in both the illustrations the cable operated parts are NOT listed in the corresponding parts table but it sort of suggests to me that what you suggest is possible since they are both shown in a common illustration, and it should show you the different parts you should would need.  The clutch control section does not show a corresponding cable setup but that should be fairly simple, obviously a cable, bracket and maybe a different hand lever etc.  Good luck.

harpwrench

The rushmore road king had a cable clutch, you need to use that as your guide

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dheath9994

FSG

if your going that way I'd be fitting a Baker Throw Out Bearing

it's been covered here on HTT enough times

also what degree ramps are you going to use, 21's, 18's or the 19's in the new Softails ?

calif phil

I used to think of converting mine to cable but now I would do the Rekluse slave cylinder and leave it hydraulic. 

rigidthumper

I would get a new 37909-90, just because...

chaos901

I like my hyd., but after looking up the Rekluse above I may consider that option; need to talk to somebody about one of those. 

I used to have problems with my hyd clutches until I started to change the hyd fluid every year or two. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

dheath9994

Swap went smoothly. Clutch engages and disengages better than ever can finally find neutral at stop lights. Only complaint is gear indicator and cruise control no longer work. Guessing its as simple as flashing the BCM but wondering if anyone has encountered this after swapping from cable to hydraulic

rigidthumper

It's due to the clutch switch- Your bike came with a 71500128b, and a Road King ( with a cable clutch) comes with a 71500126b.