April 19, 2024, 04:46:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ultima switch setting and curves

Started by 1340evo, August 07, 2021, 02:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 10, 2021, 01:44:28 PM
Just been for a run, can't open it up fully yet as still running in... appears okay but not sure its any better that the HD module? will see once we can get going propper.

If you do get 'Ping' can you hear it over loud pipes okay? there is something on acceleration and load, but not sure its ping...

Bikes can make weird noises but ping is usually fairly evident if listening for it............like a empty can with ball bearings in it and give it shake for a few seconds.

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on August 10, 2021, 01:44:28 PM
Just been for a run, can't open it up fully yet as still running in... appears okay but not sure its any better that the HD module? will see once we can get going propper.

If you do get 'Ping' can you hear it over loud pipes okay? there is something on acceleration and load, but not sure its ping...

If you really want to know for sure if the engine is experiencing pre-ignition or detonation get a lighted magnifying lens and look at the spark plugs. You will be looking for tiny balls of aluminum (from the pistons) and 'peppering'. The balls of aluminum indicate that aluminum from the piston is being transferred out of the exhaust. Some of which sticks to the spark plug. If you see this there is detonation. Peppering is similar, but is carbon being shaken loose from the top of the piston. Some of which will stick to the spark plug.

Honestly, from looking at your build, this is probably not an issue. You should probably set whatever ignition you have per the manufacturers instructions and be done with it. If you hear the 'hammers' beating inside your engine, then you should dive back into this, but I seriously doubt your engine will experience this. Ride your bike.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Think your right. I've had Ping on car engines and as you say, you know when its there!
sure it will be good.. will take it out tonight for a longer spin...  :)

I also ordered a small RPM gauge so will be more confidant on where I am if it works ;)

Burnout

My EVO would ping at very small throttle openings (cruising in town).
What was interesting is that it did not sound like pinging, it sounded like valve noise.
However valve noise does not come and go with the application of power.
The motor would tinkle if you lightly applied power (not enough to open the VOES).
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

Quote from: Burnout on August 11, 2021, 07:57:16 AM
My EVO would ping at very small throttle openings (cruising in town).
What was interesting is that it did not sound like pinging, it sounded like valve noise.
However valve noise does not come and go with the application of power.
The motor would tinkle if you lightly applied power (not enough to open the VOES).

MMMmm that's interesting, especially the 'Tinkle' description as that's what I'm getting under light load... may have a go on map 2 when I get chance.
Rev counter works well for £12.. you can set it from 1 to 10 cylinders and the V-twin offset does not appear to phaze it :)

1340evo

Its dry here so got out for a ride tonight

Set off on map 1, goes very well, pulls great, vibrates at 2.5K appears to get hotter
Swap to map 2  , kind of settles down, pulls less, vibrates less, maybe a cooler

Does that add up... Am I doing any damage running on map 2... its not as powerfull I can tell that, but its a nicer ride.....

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 12, 2021, 12:29:37 PM
Its dry here so got out for a ride tonight

Set off on map 1, goes very well, pulls great, vibrates at 2.5K appears to get hotter
Swap to map 2  , kind of settles down, pulls less, vibrates less, maybe a cooler

Does that add up... Am I doing any damage running on map 2... its not as powerfull I can tell that, but its a nicer ride.....

Map 2 is just a bit slower on advance and total advance but still runs well. I have a different cam to you and mine runs fine on map 2.
A custom curve in between the 2 works great though but you need the cable to upload.

1340evo

August 12, 2021, 01:43:41 PM #32 Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:52:58 PM by 1340evo
guess so, like a map 2 but going to 35 deg.... or I could move the whole map on the base plate. Take map two out to 35 deg.. would that work?

or is this the only way ? https://www.dynaonline.com/dyna-2000i-ignition-curvemaker-programming-kit-serial-dipk-1/

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 12, 2021, 01:43:41 PM
guess so, like a map 2 but going to 35 deg.... or I could move the whole map on the base plate. Take map two out to 35 deg.. would that work?

or is this the only way ? https://www.dynaonline.com/dyna-2000i-ignition-curvemaker-programming-kit-serial-dipk-1/

I just use the cable as moving the plate would move the entire maps timing.

1340evo

yes it would, but only a few deg.... may be worth trying with map 1 ?.. which way do I go, guess I need to turn it a 2-3 deg clockwise?

I'll also put a post up to see if anyone has a cable maybe in the tuning section.

Scotty

The main problem is there is only a limited amount of break points so with map 1 you would increase the chance of pinging and map 2 well you just changed it to map 1  :emoGroan:

Have a look at the software and load the various curves and look at the numbers and will become more obvious.

1340evo

No, I'm saying push map 1 more towards where map 2 is, so should reduce ping if anything. So you go clockwise a couple of deg I think ?? I do get confused with all this  :crook:

I'll download the software and take a look  :up:

capn

1340evo

yes, you are correct, it needs to go in the direction of the cam to do what I want, with map 1 anyway.
With map 2 id need to take that clockwise....

Just down loaded the software and it does look quite good... how many point can you have on the curve as there is about 10 RPM points, so id say you can have 10... may have to invest in a cable ;)