April 19, 2024, 12:34:58 PM

News:

Fxr muffler bracket

Started by tdrglide, August 07, 2021, 07:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

August 07, 2021, 07:56:31 PM Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:52:57 PM by tdrglide
Fxr muffler bracket, 65674-87 the one that bolts from muffler to muffler, stock exhaust with cycle shack slip on mufflers. Broke another one.
Is there anything out there after market,different?
I welded the previous one back together and still have it. I'll swap it out but would be nice to not worry

guido4198

What bike..??
Early FXR's like mine ( '85) have a wedge on that bracket to put a bolt through and secure the whole thing to the frame through a rubber "donut". The motor company quit putting that on FXR's in later years. I replaced the factory exhaust on my FXRS with 2-2 solid pipes from several manufacturers over the years and tried to continue using that "donut" connection. EVERY set I tried...regardless of manufacturer eventually cracked or outright broke into two pieces somewhere along the run of the pipes when I used the donut and nolted through it to the frame. I suspect keeping the original headers and just using slipons might have made that work better...but your experience might indicate otherwise...I don't know.
What I do know is that once I quit trying to use the "donut" thingy...I quit breaking pipes. Back to the bracket that ties the mufflers together...KEEP WELDING or keep searching..they are ( or at least were) hard to find.  When my original bracket broke ( for the '85 FXRS) I found it VERY hard to replace at that time. There was one in Chicago that a dealer had in stock but wouldn't ship. He was "keeping it for his local customers". I located another in the Netherlands...but he wouldn't ship to America.
I did eventually find one but that's been a number of years ago.
FWIW: When doing anything with FXR exhaust it's critical that you make sure "everything is happy" before you start tightening any fasteners. When you are securing the fasteners...if everything is lined up correctly...nothing should move as you are tightening things down. If you see that tightening fasteners is "pulling parts" into alignment you'll likely experience breakage at some point.
Hope this helps.

tdrglide

It's a 92 year model. No donut. Dyna version -95 seems to be available at not crazy prices. Don't know how different it is. Unfortunately no longer have free access to welding machine or metal fab equipment.

jamminhd2000

Currently working on a 86 fxrs-sp...tried mounting up a basanni 2to1 that says it fits 1984-2000. Not so....the bracket they supply from trans trap door to muffler runs into the oem rubber mount bracket that is welded on frame. Called bassani and the did not have an answer. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears....suggestions on a good pipe that will fit?....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Quote from: guido4198 on August 08, 2021, 03:07:44 AM
What bike..??
Early FXR's like mine ( '85) have a wedge on that bracket to put a bolt through and secure the whole thing to the frame through a rubber "donut". The motor company quit putting that on FXR's in later years. I replaced the factory exhaust on my FXRS with 2-2 solid pipes from several manufacturers over the years and tried to continue using that "donut" connection. EVERY set I tried...regardless of manufacturer eventually cracked or outright broke into two pieces somewhere along the run of the pipes when I used the donut and nolted through it to the frame. I suspect keeping the original headers and just using slipons might have made that work better...but your experience might indicate otherwise...I don't know. 
What I do know is that once I quit trying to use the "donut" thingy...I quit breaking pipes. Back to the bracket that ties the mufflers together...KEEP WELDING or keep searching..they are ( or at least were) hard to find.  When my original bracket broke ( for the '85 FXRS) I found it VERY hard to replace at that time. There was one in Chicago that a dealer had in stock but wouldn't ship. He was "keeping it for his local customers". I located another in the Netherlands...but he wouldn't ship to America.
I did eventually find one but that's been a number of years ago.
FWIW: When doing anything with FXR exhaust it's critical that you make sure "everything is happy" before you start tightening any fasteners. When you are securing the fasteners...if everything is lined up correctly...nothing should move as you are tightening things down. If you see that tightening fasteners is "pulling parts" into alignment you'll likely experience breakage at some point.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great info! Jimmy

Don D

Jimmy, a little rework and it fits

Burnout

FXR = Rubber mounted motor, you cannot hang the exhaust off the frame as the motor moves within the frame.
This is why you are seeing damage over time.

Best to have a bracket that comes off the trans to support the exhaust. Pick up at least 3 of the 5/16 bolts for best support.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

guido4198

Jimmy,
I believe the confusion at Bassani arises due to the " donut bracket" having been eliminated on most of the models they say their pipes will fit. If you like the Bassani pipes, cut the " donut bracket" off your bike. Looking at the one on my '85 FXRS it doesn't appear to have any function besides being a place to use the donut thing, that was eliminated on later models. As I mentioned earlier, I finally gave up on trying to use the donut and quit having to buy another set of pipes about the same time.  :embarrassed:

jamminhd2000

Thanks all....I think I will try to add some spacers between the trap door and bracket first....I am one of those guys that does not like to cut on frames because I like to keep stuff original...I will mock up with spacers first and see how it fits....if it doesn't fit right get out the cutting wheel....thank you for all your input....jimmy :scoot:

Don D

I wouldn't touch the frame. The bracket on the pipe and or the brace can be changed to work

solid_knowledge

Quote from: guido4198 on August 08, 2021, 04:15:28 PM

I believe the confusion at Bassani arises due to the " donut bracket" having been eliminated on most of the models they say their pipes will fit. If you like the Bassani pipes, cut the " donut bracket" off your bike.

This is the answer OP. Zip that guy off the frame with a rotary tool. It serves zero purpose anymore now that the deficiency in the design has been identified.

Also, sometimes the Bassani bracket needs to have a bit of clearance added on the backside of the bracket where the reinforcement tab sits as it can bump in to the pivot block

[attach=0]

jamminhd2000

Owner of bike said cut it....so I did
..jimmy

RTMike

The mount off the bottom of the timing cover is part of the solution,make shure it is hooked up.

tdrglide

I have had seen those break also

guido4198

Quote from: tdrglide on September 10, 2021, 07:42:22 PM
I have had seen those break also
Yup...
Over the 36 years I've been riding the same FXRS I bought new in 1985 I've seen pretty much EVERYTHING break in my modified exhaust system as long as I was trying to use the "rubber donut". I believe the issue arises, or is at least enhanced whenever we mount 1-piece solid pipes on our rubber mounted bikes. The Motor company clearly realized the donut was a problem and discontinued it. It wasn't as BIG of a problem with the OEM exhaust system because (IMHO) there were extra "connection points" between headers and mufflers for things to move/vibrate just a bit... without breaking. Over time, I've installed several different one-piece 2-2 pipes on my bike. As long as I kept using the rubber donut as part of the mounting system I've had just about every part and pipe break somewhere at some point. I FINALLY received a good piece of advice from a fellow who goes by "Race Pres" on forums and quit trying to use the damn donut. Haven't broken anything since.