March 29, 2024, 01:23:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear axle nut torque for M8 touring?

Started by klammer76, August 14, 2021, 03:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Trying to confirm the rear axle nut torque spec for 2021 M8 touring? My 2021 service manual has it as 135 to 145 ft lbs. Want to be sure this is correct. Seems like a lot. My twin cam is 95 to 105 for the same nut.

Thanks,
klammer

HogMike

Quote from: klammer76 on August 14, 2021, 03:13:06 AM
Trying to confirm the rear axle nut torque spec for 2021 M8 touring? My 2021 service manual has it as 135 to 145 ft lbs. Want to be sure this is correct. Seems like a lot. My twin cam is 95 to 105 for the same nut.

Thanks,
klammer

The specs have changed a bit from the twin cam days.

Mid 2019 my M8 had an "upgrade" rear swing arm, axle, adjusters and all the other assorted parts that go with it to the "latest" version. My latest torque settings are now what you have on the 2021.
Early on my 2019 had a problem with the axle loosening up and the belt getting out of adjustment. The "fix" at that time was to increase the torque number.
That didn't work so H-D changed the parts.

Yes, seems like a lot, but now my axle stays in adjustment.
:idunno:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

road-dawgs1

Yep, the axle cam adjuster was changed in 2020 and specs changed.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

FloridaJim5

When did this change in 2019?   I have a '19 and I haven't noticed my belt loosening. 

Dan89flstc

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on August 14, 2021, 04:15:04 AM
When did this change in 2019?   I have a '19 and I haven't noticed my belt loosening.

It changed for the 2020 model year.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

klammer76

FSG

PoorUB

It appears to me that really, only the tension ramps changed, plus the flat on the axle to avoid mixing the parts, then they went up to 135-145 ftlbs of torque. I wonder if the material in the axle was changed to handle the higher tightening torque. Anyone see any issue tightening the earlier cam style adjuster axle the same torque? I have been using 125 ftlbs on my baggers for years.

I probably answered the question. I just looked at bolt torque charts. Even a 1" grade 2 can be torqued to around 200 ftlbs.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

motorhogman

Quote from: PoorUB on August 14, 2021, 02:15:35 PM
It appears to me that really, only the tension ramps changed, plus the flat on the axle to avoid mixing the parts, then they went up to 135-145 ftlbs of torque. I wonder if the material in the axle was changed to handle the higher tightening torque. Anyone see any issue tightening the earlier cam style adjuster axle the same torque? I have been using 125 ftlbs on my baggers for years.

I probably answered the question. I just looked at bolt torque charts. Even a 1" grade 2 can be torqued to around 200 ftlbs.

They must have beefed up that swing arm big time.. That kind of torque would crush my 01 FLH swing arm ?  Not that it would ever need it.. Still has the old school adjusters.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

PoorUB

The '01 is a different animal compared to the '02 and up. solid plate steel.

itsafatboy

strange my 01 softail fatboy the axle is 60 pounds tq , now they are up to the 120 pound range , what changed ?

PoorUB

"01 SofTail has a 3/4" axle, the baggers have been 1" or 25 MM for years. Larger diameter will handle more torque.