April 18, 2024, 11:07:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1977 flh

Started by roadkingdresser, August 14, 2021, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

What's the top end gasket kit would you use for leak proof?
roadkingdresser

motorhogman

I always had great luck with James on my shovel heads. I don't know if the quality is still there but I swore buy them. Never a drip from anywhere on my 73 Super Glide. Not even the rocker shafts.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Ohio HD

"Leak proof" is more condition of proper assembly and gasket sealing surfaces square and flat.

roadkingdresser

I agree with you on the flat surfaces.I was leaning towards the Jims gaskets, just looking for a little advice. thanks!
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

When I had Shovels years back I was using James gaskets. They were as good as any back then.

RTMike

capn

Cometic especially head gaskets.You don"t have to retorque.Makes the job much easier.

JW113

What ever brand you choose, Foam-met seem to be the cat's meow in gasket technology these days. And yes, James makes Foam-met gaskets, so does Cometic I believe. For the heads, can't beat MLS type. Cometic makes a nice one that's coated with some sort of rubber or viton?

-JW

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

guppymech

I bought a James engine overhaul set with fire ring head gaskets and have had no leaks with any of them.  I've had the top end apart a few times since then and have had good results from Cometic paper rocker cover gaskets and .032 solid copper head gaskets.  The copper head gaskets don't loose head bolt tension and are reusable if you anneal them and spray with Permatex Copper Coat. ymmv
'84 FXE, '02 883R

76shuvlinoff

I have had James with the bead on my rocker boxes and Cometic MLS on my cylinder bases and heads for over 15 years. Still dry.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kink04fxd

Quote from: capn on August 15, 2021, 02:22:42 AM
Cometic especially head gaskets.You don"t have to retorque.Makes the job much easier.
Cometic for sure. Never "retorqued" a head gasket. Never a problem.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

Hillside Motorcycle

Cometic here, but if using a James kit, by all means the metal rocker gaskets.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JSD

I used James fire ring Head Gasket on Pan & Shovel but now use Cometic MLS as Tech has advanced. I have S&S cycle .032" copper but have not tried them