March 28, 2024, 02:07:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tman 662-2 or CR630i

Started by 838, August 15, 2021, 08:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpwrench

V&H HO stainless duals, supertrapp megashot are a couple large x-pipes
Casey Wegner can make one if you're very patient

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 22, 2021, 07:01:27 AM
Vance and Hines power duals are different, the S&S duals are made by Khrome Werks

Do the s&s have the same capability as the KW (is it the same pipe)?

Don D

I have not had the two in my hand to comment accurately.

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 22, 2021, 11:06:37 AM

Do you know if the KW pipe was making these numbers with the flattened crossover pipe? Or was this modified to an open crossover?

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 21, 2021, 07:25:11 PM
The Wagner exhaust supposedly would get you there?
I know the Fullsac DX/Crusher mellows will support 140TQ, given a big enough engine, I'm not sure about 140 HP though.

Have you ever used the cobra "power port" 2-1-2? Looks like a KW or S&S but with bigger pipes including a full size crossover? Rush and Dragos also make these style. I emailed Frank and he said it could pull 140 with "his mufflers", but he's never tried with any others. I'm guessing if his mufflers can do it, so can the mellows. D&D guys said not to use their 2-1-2 for this level of power (gotta appreciate their honesty) 👍.

Raleigh111

Quote from: 838 on October 23, 2021, 08:43:14 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on October 21, 2021, 07:25:11 PM
The Wagner exhaust supposedly would get you there?
I know the Fullsac DX/Crusher mellows will support 140TQ, given a big enough engine, I'm not sure about 140 HP though.

Have you ever used the cobra "power port" 2-1-2? Looks like a KW or S&S but with bigger pipes including a full size crossover? Rush and Dragos also make these style. I emailed Frank and he said it could pull 140 with "his mufflers", but he's never tried with any others. I'm guessing if his mufflers can do it, so can the mellows. D&D guys said not to use their 2-1-2 for this level of power (gotta appreciate their honesty) 👍.
Good info. Has anyone taken apart the crushers mellows? I wonder if the left side baffle has a restriction in it like the fuel moto ones? I had mine apart but it was many moons ago now they are gone. 
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

Ohio HD

What I was taught by Stave Cole and has always rang true, is that the left side is restricted because on decal there's more reversion due to less equal flow since the right side is almost a straight shot out. The reason its restricted is to prevent decel popping on that side.

YMMV depending on what exhaust system is used. The above is an in general occurrence with HD 2-1-2 systems.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 23, 2021, 12:39:32 PM
What I was taught by Stave Cole and has always rang true, is that the left side is restricted because on decal there's more reversion due to less equal flow since the right side is almost a straight shot out. The reason its restricted is to prevent decel popping on that side.

YMMV depending on what exhaust system is used. The above is an in general occurrence with HD 2-1-2 systems.

:up:  Steve was previously an engineer for Hedman Headers and knows exhaust well.
KD

Raleigh111

Thanks for that bit of info OHIO! I had no idea.

kd

Quote from: kd on October 23, 2021, 03:32:56 PM

:up:  Steve was previously an engineer for Hedman Headers and knows exhaust well.

Not that it's important but this morning i realized I may have been having a false memory event.   :embarrassed:  When Steve told me where he worked on exhaust systems, it could have been "Doug's Headers".   :doh:  Now I am confused.
KD

Raleigh111

Quote from: 838 on October 22, 2021, 04:08:55 PM

Do you know if the KW pipe was making these numbers with the flattened crossover pipe? Or was this modified to an open crossover?

I will have a full size crossover on mine and play with the left side baffle restriction in the next month or 2 on the dyno and let you know how it turns out. I settled on the DM598 cam .

Don D

That's exactly the definition of "tuning" not who is or isn't knowledgeable or whom got what results with the same pipe and a totally different build. Let the engine tell you.

Arseclown

Quote from: Raleigh111 on October 24, 2021, 06:32:27 AM

I will have a full size crossover on mine and play with the left side baffle restriction in the next month or 2 on the dyno and let you know how it turns out. I settled on the DM598 cam .

Curious about your selection (or want for testing) of the Mackie 598 cam. What sort of bike, what sort of riding and what comp would you run it at?

And lastly what is it about this cam that makes you want to use/test it as opposed to all the others commonly used.

Only asking as ive had it in my short list for a dyna 117ci with 10.8 comp and I don't mind having conservative Ccp

Raleigh111

Quote from: Arseclown on October 24, 2021, 10:45:58 PM
Quote from: Raleigh111 on October 24, 2021, 06:32:27 AM

Curious about your selection (or want for testing) of the Mackie 598 cam. What sort of bike, what sort of riding and what comp would you run it at?

And lastly what is it about this cam that makes you want to use/test it as opposed to all the others commonly used.

Only asking as ive had it in my short list for a dyna 117ci with 10.8 comp and I don't mind having conservative Ccp
124 motor,closer lsa like 9b, hump the tq curve up on left, not a big lift, long life, quiet valve train, 10-8 - 11-1 in 13 road glide touring bike.

m1marty

I've done quite a few builds with the 598. They flat out work and work well. It's one of my favorite cams to use in bikes set up more towards the "hot rod" end of the spectrum. Really shine at the 200ccp +/- mark. This is of course with good supporting parts.
OFFO

I just finished a 124" with a 598 in a cross country touring softail. I agree with the "hot rod" label, but what I really like is it's tame in the 2500-3000 range. I cruise at 80 mph on the highway and it's locked and loaded at 3k for touch of the throttle passing power. Cruising slower 70mph in 5th same idea. This one is only tuned to 4500rpm and 60% throttle for a few more miles. I have a feeling once I get a chance to grab a handful of throttle and drop gears for more aggressive riding it's going to be a wild one. Perfect combo for a touring bike that likes to rev out too. This ones 10.8:1 compression just a click under 200ccp. It could take more compression, but I don't see why you'd need it for a touring bagger.