April 18, 2024, 09:51:46 PM

News:

M8 adj. rocker arms

Started by bxbutch, August 15, 2021, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bxbutch

Adustable rocker arms anyone use these Im having noise from top of engine sounds like rocker arm tapping Thanks Butch

OldMike

Quote from: bxbutch on August 15, 2021, 03:26:54 PM
  Adustable rocker arms anyone use these Im having noise from top of engine sounds like rocker arm tapping Thanks Butch
I'm not using them but I did check rocker arm clearance while assembling my 131". They are not that expensive but quite a bit of labor for the chance that is your problem.
On another forum I read somebody did take the chance and got rid of a tick.

ziggy24

Quote from: OldMike on August 17, 2021, 10:52:24 AM
Quote from: bxbutch on August 15, 2021, 03:26:54 PM
I'm not using them but I did check rocker arm clearance while assembling my 131". They are not that expensive but quite a bit of labor for the chance that is your problem.
On another forum I read somebody did take the chance and got rid of a tick.

Did you check out lifters first? I have these rockers in my 128. I put them in, as I had the engine apart already, so as far as solving a problem, that I do not have an answer to that. They really are not much more money than the stock ones if you go that route.

les

I got a 2020 Standard and bought an SE 131 when I bought the bike.  The stock 107 started ticking after a couple thousand miles.  The 131 after about 500 miles.  Eventually, the tick went away on both bikes.  Could be just a matter of letting the engine settle in, as it was with my two M8's.

Trobec

I realize this is an older thread,but I installed the adjustable rocker arms in my 2018 ultra limited because I had a ticking noise from the front exhaust valve that was driving me crazy. I also installed the rocker shaft stud kit along with the Fueling(I believe,may have been SE.can't remember) rocker shafts while I was in there. It fixed the ticking issue I was having.

FloridaJim5

Are the adjustable rocker arms still available?  I couldn't find them on their website.

Trobec

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on April 06, 2023, 02:14:42 PMAre the adjustable rocker arms still available?  I couldn't find them on their website.

Yes they are. 
SCREAMIN' EAGLE MILWAUKEE EIGHT ADJUSTABLE ROCKER ARMS

Screamin' Eagle Adjustable Rocker arms are designed to take up the lash if the valve tips are not at the same height for quieter valve train operation.
KIT# 17300069 REAR INTAKE FRONT EXHAUST RETAIL PRICE: $62.95
KIT# 17300070 FRONT INTAKE REAR EXHAUST RETAIL PRICE: $62.95

Pricing and availability subject to change without notice.
Harley-Davidson Cams

-deuced-

Just my opinion but if I had an m8 I'd be putting these in first chance I got, regardless of whether or not I had any noise. I understand there being the need for only one adjuster in each arm. Install so the solid arm touches its valve then wind the adjuster down until it touches its valve and lock it in, Eddy. So much easier than faffing about with feeler gauges like we used to.

I do have a question relating to placement of the adjuster. Is there any mechanical advantage/disadvantage to having the adjuster in the outer arm as opposed to the inner arm? Would it be better to have that little bit of extra weight on the arm closest to the pushrod? Is the effect too negligible? Is the adjuster where it is due to any clearance or accessibility issues? Well, more than one question but they're all about the same thing, lol.

Hilly13

Dunno the answers cobber but I to would bang em in if an m8 was my ride.
Just because its said don't make it so