April 25, 2024, 09:28:15 AM

News:

front engine mount not sitting square?

Started by 1340evo, August 16, 2021, 01:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Don't know if anyone else has come across this, but when I'm trying to settle my engine in last night, I'm seeing the front tube through the rubber mount being twisted due to how the two components cove together? Both look correct.
Its like the angle in the front motor mount plate is too shallow?
Anyone else seen this?

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 16, 2021, 01:55:58 AM
Don't know if anyone else has come across this, but when I'm trying to settle my engine in last night, I'm seeing the front tube through the rubber mount being twisted due to how the two components cove together? Both look correct.
Anyone else seen this?

To many posts to look through what model bike is it?

capn

The rear mounts might have dropped.Worn out.

1340evo

no.. all mounts are new and now in the correct orientation (see earlier posts)  :SM:

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1340evo

August 16, 2021, 07:55:51 AM #6 Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:59:54 AM by 1340evo
Quote from: Deye76 on August 16, 2021, 05:58:53 AM
Any pictures?

Go to post 1 and click the link to a drawing I did... its hard to get in to take a photo. I've tried to send the link again but got a warning msg, so think it must be this.. so if you have a look at the top.. Tx

turboprop

Anyone else seen this?

This somewhat common for bikes that use this style of front rubber mount. It can be corrected by getting everything in its comfortable or 'happy' position. Assuming you have all the pieces (front and rear) installed in the correct orientation, it is a simple matter of loosening up the two bolts that attach the front rubber mount to the frame and the single 'through bolt'. Several ways to do it but the easiest way is to simply run the engine at a high idle with a few revs for a minute or two. This will allow the front mount to settle. You can also use a 1'2" OD bolt to align everything and then replace it with the oem size bolt.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Quote from: turboprop on August 16, 2021, 08:56:18 AM
Anyone else seen this?

This somewhat common for bikes that use this style of front rubber mount. It can be corrected by getting everything in its comfortable or 'happy' position. Assuming you have all the pieces (front and rear) installed in the correct orientation, it is a simple matter of loosening up the two bolts that attach the front rubber mount to the frame and the single 'through bolt'. Several ways to do it but the easiest way is to simply run the engine at a high idle with a few revs for a minute or two. This will allow the front mount to settle. You can also use a 1'2" OD bolt to align everything and then replace it with the oem size bolt.

Yes, that's what I was doing when I noticed the issue. The central bolt will pass through the hole as the hole is oversize, but once clamped up it puts quite a twist (front / back) on the small tube in the front mount effectivley pre-loading it...

1340evo

Okay, panic over (although I have seen before it not coming down square on the mount), but maybe this time its more to do with this....

when I bought the bike, the clown that built it did have the rear rubbers upside down and have since turned them over, so this may address the angle issue.. When I get a new one I'll check it.

"Potty mouth", this things only done about 250 miles!!

FSG

1340evo

August 16, 2021, 01:52:54 PM #11 Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:20:20 PM by 1340evo
Thanks for that FSG, I could not get it to do that LOL

Think my problem may of been solved with the rear mounts now I think about it as its lifted the back of the engine up about 1/2" if not more so may of corrected the front issue, but will re-check when I get a new one.

Next question, whats any good and available in the UK .. looking on line I can get Motorcyle store house which is where this last one came from! or Drag Specialties   :crook: or Alloy Art Mount Motor Iso Front - Part #112030

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 16, 2021, 01:23:59 PM
when I bought the bike, the clown that built it did have the rear rubbers upside down and have since turned them over, so this may address the angle issue.. When I get a new

I would be checking everything the clown touched as he obviously is an expert  :hyst:

1340evo

Quote from: Scotty on August 16, 2021, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on August 16, 2021, 01:23:59 PM
when I bought the bike, the clown that built it did have the rear rubbers upside down and have since turned them over, so this may address the angle issue.. When I get a new

I would be checking everything the clown touched as he obviously is an expert  :hyst:

Think I have done now. Engine, there was issues in the oil pump and piston in wrong, Gearbox where he'd not torqued up the clutch hub and it spun on the tapper (now splined), carb re-done, exhaust mounts, electrics sorted, rear end lined up, have re-done most things now.. only bit I've not done are the folks.. and I do sometimes get a bit of a klunk from them. :dgust:

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

1340evo

August 17, 2021, 12:33:41 PM #15 Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:46:45 PM by Coyote
gone for the KINETIC STRUCTURES one.. any experiance of these?

guido4198

Here's my post from a couple of weeks ago in the thread titled: "Vibrations".
The last time I replaced the front motor mount on my '85 FXRS, I did a lot of research on this forum and across 'net. I found a lot of information and recommendations. I didn't need to find the cheapest/least expensive item so I decided to try something new and went with one of these:
https://www.kineticstructures.com/harley-engine-motor-mount
I've put 20,000 mi on it so far and have to say I'm perfectly satisfied. My memory is that just the new front mount provided a great improvement over the one that was on the bike at that point in time. It was somebody's black rubber product but I don't remember who I got it from. It was in very poor condition and needed to go.
In the interest of full disclosure I have to add that right around that same time frame, I replaced the factory original rear isolators as well, pulled a crappy pair of Progressive shocks, replaced them with Pro-Action shocks and replaced the old  "Velva-ride" stabilizer links that I had put on a lot of years back( and have been satisfied with) with new ones of the same manufacture.
At the end of the day....I have a 36 yr old FXRS that will run 90 mph down the interstate and be smooth enough to read the front license plate in my rear view mirror on cars coming up next to me.  :bike:
Happy Guy.

lumberjacklloyd

Quote from: 1340evo on August 17, 2021, 12:33:41 PM
gone for the KINETIC STRUCTURES one.. any experiance of these?

I highly recommend NOT getting the Kinetic structures mount. The mount sits at a different height than factory and there is undamped uptravel.

1340evo

Hi guido4198, thats what I've seen on a number of posts and why I went this way. I hope it kills my 2.5K vibes a bit as the rubber one don't deal with it well. I may change the rears also but they are new just over 2K ago. No idea what the original ones were as it wasn't my bike then, but these do feel very hard so again may contribute to the vibes.

Not sure why Lumberjack has so much against them.. have you actualy fitted one and tried it LJ?
The assembly holds the wire mesh and it acts as a spring in all directions so will actualy give you more damping that the rubber? would be good to hear what you found on yours??

turboprop

I bet if you were to search this forum you would find lots of information about front engine mounts, including the Kinetic brand one.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

not that much on Kinetics... there is one quote that appears to be re-posted a few times stating the same thing... Posative though... lets see

lumberjacklloyd

Quote from: 1340evo on August 18, 2021, 11:24:44 AM
Hi guido4198, thats what I've seen on a number of posts and why I went this way. I hope it kills my 2.5K vibes a bit as the rubber one don't deal with it well. I may change the rears also but they are new just over 2K ago. No idea what the original ones were as it wasn't my bike then, but these do feel very hard so again may contribute to the vibes.

Not sure why Lumberjack has so much against them.. have you actualy fitted one and tried it LJ?
The assembly holds the wire mesh and it acts as a spring in all directions so will actualy give you more damping that the rubber? would be good to hear what you found on yours??

I have installed the Kinetic Structures mount, ran it for 500 miles and returned for full refund. Confirmed with Harry at Kinetic structures that it was dimensionally accurate with no defects according to them. The Kinetic mount is 0.125" taller than a broken in factory 79D mount. Rubber mounts settle to some degree in the first couple hundred miles and generally remain at the same height until deteriorated. Harry stated that the 79D mount that their stainless mount was modeled after was not "broken in". This makes sense as the new 79D motor mount I bought settled almost 1/8" in the first 200 miles and none after.

Also, when installed there is a large gap between the thin stainless wafer and the factory snubber washer on the bolt. Under hard acceleration the motor lifts off of the mount and there is undamped uptravel in the mount due to the gap. Because the mount is connected to a linkage that moves in an arc this causes drivetrain shimmy.

It is a flawed design with good intent, but some people just have to have the most "trick" looking parts. The factory 79D mount is what I run with great success. The original supplier of the FXR engine mount is still in business and selling the same mount; part number 507-2NS. The 1NS, 2NS and 3NS are different durometer ratings; discuss with them what will work best for you.

https://novibration.com/products/bonded-tube-mounts-500-series/

1340evo

Not sure I want a trick looking mount.. you can't see it with the rectifier in place.. just something to kill the 2500 rpm vibes...
so when assembled you say there is a gap and the whole thing can lift up. Guess you can see this when its off the bike also. Will take a look when it arrives and if so I'll send it back.
The Db ones look good....

motorhogman

I am running the 507 1NS in my 01 FLHT. Works better than any of the OEM mounts as far as vibration goes other than the very first OEM one. The first OEM mount was very good also. Down hill after that until I installed the Barry Controls mount. Also less half the price of the 79D including shipping.

The original supplier of the FXR engine mount is still in business and selling the same mount; part number 507-2NS. The 1NS, 2NS and 3NS are different durometer ratings; discuss with them what will work best for you.

https://novibration.com/products/bonded-tube-mounts-500-series/
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1340evo

both these go back to dB engineering so looks like they all originate there?

so the one you have on your FLHT is not the best you've had, but better than most.
The first original unit was the best, if I'm reading this right.. so guess that was a std HD mount.. wonder what revision?