April 24, 2024, 01:07:06 AM

News:

front engine mount not sitting square?

Started by 1340evo, August 16, 2021, 01:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

yes, they are LH and RH, also longer side to the bottom (distance between bolt hole and bore as there is a long and short side to them) and yes, the location pin is up. this located in the slot you see on the rubber mount above.

Ajayrk

The hole in the rubber mount is offset.  I think it is that way to allow the engine to rock fore and aft and not up and down.  I would think once the rubber is mounted the pivot shaft would be centered under the cover.  I replaced those mounts on a 1985 fxr, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the orientation.
AJ

1340evo

Quote from: Ajayrk on September 04, 2021, 01:19:57 PM
The hole in the rubber mount is offset.  I think it is that way to allow the engine to rock fore and aft and not up and down.  I would think once the rubber is mounted the pivot shaft would be centered under the cover.  I replaced those mounts on a 1985 fxr, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the orientation.

not a chance, they just sit which ever way you put them.. by swaping blocks side to side and rotating the rubber you can get them to sit at 1, 5, 7 or 11 .. but thats it, they won't move from there.

Ajayrk

Wish I could have been more helpful.  I do remember replacing the clev blocks at that time.  Not sure if that had any affect on the rubber mounts.
AJ

1340evo

Quote from: Ajayrk on September 04, 2021, 01:49:35 PM

Wish I could have been more helpful.  I do remember replacing the clev blocks at that time.  Not sure if that had any affect on the rubber mounts.

Thanks anyway, kit is a strange set-up.. why would you put the shaft off centre?

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on September 05, 2021, 01:29:12 AM
Quote from: Ajayrk on September 04, 2021, 01:49:35 PM

Thanks anyway, kit is a strange set-up.. why would you put the shaft off centre?

I asked Erik Buell this question many years ago. I forget his answer but it was pretty extensive. During that same discussion he talked extensively about stabilizing harmonics.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Looks from the above that some have converted to centralized ones unless from a given year they changed?

New brackets are ready now so will be trying them as a dry fit tonight to see it it makes it all nice and square now ;)

Ajayrk

AJ

1340evo

A bit rough, but used it to get the new angle and measurements to do the actual drawing... Copy attached if anyone wants it?

1340evo

So, new bracket fitted, everything nice and square now, with the Kinetics industries mount, and its made a huge differance to the vibration.
I'd say its about 20% what it was before and in top gear between 60 and 70 (which is about 2500 rpm on mine and where it vibrates) nothing much at all now, so well pleased with the mount and new bracket.
I still have the US rubber mount coming so will give that a try when it arrives.

Only slight vibes I get are in the lower gears and only through the foot pegs, maybe a bit of insulation on those and it would be more or less vibe free :)

Hossamania

Compared to a rigid mount shovel, it is vibration free!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

Quote from: 1340evo on September 09, 2021, 11:38:50 AM
So, new bracket fitted, everything nice and square now, with the Kinetics industries mount, and its made a huge differance to the vibration.
I'd say its about 20% what it was before and in top gear between 60 and 70 (which is about 2500 rpm on mine and where it vibrates) nothing much at all now, so well pleased with the mount and new bracket.
I still have the US rubber mount coming so will give that a try when it arrives.

Only slight vibes I get are in the lower gears and only through the foot pegs, maybe a bit of insulation on those and it would be more or less vibe free :)

Soooooo...... now the bracket that bolts to the engine drops 30 degrees and that "tongue" is now parallel to the mounting plate on the frame?

I'm not real clear on the angle from the oem plate to the one you made. Maybe the oem one got bent in the past?
At least it sounds that everything is working fine now.
Good job.
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

1340evo

Quote from: HogMike on September 09, 2021, 01:04:25 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on September 09, 2021, 11:38:50 AM

Soooooo...... now the bracket that bolts to the engine drops 30 degrees and that "tongue" is now parallel to the mounting plate on the frame?

I'm not real clear on the angle from the oem plate to the one you made. Maybe the oem one got bent in the past?
At least it sounds that everything is working fine now.
Good job.
:smiled:

No, I tried to bend the existing one before making a new one.. you can't bend them as they are so superstrong steel, and on the Facebook FXR forum, some guys measured theirs. Thet range from 27 deg like mine, through to 32 deg.
so, if you are suffering the vibes, best to check this is correct.

Funny, but I don't remember my Shovel having the vibes much at all?... or maybe I was just younger then  :wink: