April 16, 2024, 04:49:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

front engine mount not sitting square?

Started by 1340evo, August 16, 2021, 01:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjacklloyd

You can see the gap under the cross member here. This was right after installation and got slightly larger after the first ride. The size of the gap is how much uptravel the engine has on the mount without any force holding it down other than its own weight. I wouldn't even waste time installing it. The 79D or DB engineering mounts are superior. The 3NS is most stiff and comparable to the 79D mount; the 1NS is the softest and IS identical to the original FXR engine mount.

motorhogman

Quote from: 1340evo on August 19, 2021, 03:09:09 AM
both these go back to dB engineering so looks like they all originate there?

so the one you have on your FLHT is not the best you've had, but better than most.
The first original unit was the best, if I'm reading this right.. so guess that was a std HD mount.. wonder what revision?

The original mount in 2001 was a 16207-79B according to the 2001 Parts manual.
Yes the current mount installed ( 5071NS) is the best since the bike was new. The bike has 117,000 mi on it now. I've owned it since new. Hard to actually remember how smooth it exactly was going going back 21 years.  All I can say is it is smoother than it's been in a long time. I have to say that it actually got smoother after some miles, maybe 500 to 1000..
I replaced the rear rubber mounts a few years ago looking for the cause of a  vibration. Noticed no difference. Turned out to be a broken rear bumper causing it that time if I remember correctly..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1340evo

Thanks Guy's .. looks like I need to order the 5071NS... Will give it a go  :up:

motorhogman

Quote from: 1340evo on August 19, 2021, 07:16:11 AM
Thanks Guy's .. looks like I need to order the 5071NS... Will give it a go  :up:

I think you will pleased. TurboProp a member here enlightened us to the Barry Controls. I believe he has tried some of the different compounds on an FXR. If I recall correctly I think he said smooth as silk with the 507 1INS

Search Barry Controls here there is a fairly lengthy thread about them.

1340evo

It's coming from dB engineering which I guess is the same thing.. and cheap.. its $19 on their web site :)

motorhogman

Quote from: 1340evo on August 19, 2021, 09:58:50 AM
It's coming from dB engineering which I guess is the same thing.. and cheap.. its $19 on their web site :)

DB is a partner somehow. There is also a Mother company over them all.. Can't recall the name of it.   Like I said even with shipping cheaper than the Harley dealer.  Friend of mine has MC machine shop and up in MA and he bought 10 of them ( a mix of different compounds). He's installed several since January and no complaints.

1340evo

Think I'll do the same and sell them in the UK if it works as well as you say!!  :chop:

turboprop

Quote from: motorhogman on August 19, 2021, 08:50:29 AM

I think you will pleased. TurboProp a member here enlightened us to the Barry Controls. I believe he has tried some of the different compounds on an FXR. If I recall correctly I think he said smooth as silk with the 507 1INS

If the OP would do a simple search, all his questions about the front mount would be answered, with links to websites, etc. Instead, lets reinvent the discussion but do it poorly. Search. It works.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Quote from: turboprop on August 19, 2021, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: motorhogman on August 19, 2021, 08:50:29 AM

If the OP would do a simple search, all his questions about the front mount would be answered, with links to websites, etc. Instead, lets reinvent the discussion but do it poorly. Search. It works.

Tell you what.. you try searching for 'best motor mount'.. you get 101 answers. Sorry if you don't like people asking advice on forums, but I did think thats one of the reasons they exist.
You guy's have loads of info in the US and no doubt lots of people to discuss Evo's with. Where I am in the UK there is no one who knows anything.
As I say, sorry if you don't like it mate... I appologise!!  and probably 'poorly' IYO

HogMike

I've run 3 different mounts on my evo over the years.
This is the one that works best for MY bike.
It's the one on the left.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

HogMike

Quote from: Burnout on August 19, 2021, 05:46:46 PM
Is this the bottom of the mount?

Yes on my 1995.

The vibration issue may be due to an alignment problem.
There is a procedure in the manual to show the proper way to set up the alignment. There is "wiggle room" side to side and fore and aft to set up the drive train.
If the mounts are stressed they won't last long!

I tried to get a picture of mine but the oil cooler and regulator is in the way.

This may help:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

1340evo

Thats like the 507 1INS we are talking about.

Are you sure its the bottom? I'd of thought it was the top?

I spent an hour last night with the the failed mount. I cut a ring of rubber off the top and placed a soft silicon disc 1/4" thick on the top, then did the same on the underside with a big snub washer. This allows the middle tube to move up and down and the vibration is taken us by the remaining rubber and the new discs. Works a treat and you can't feel anything much vibration wise  :teeth:
What I've used is only soft so how long it will last is anyones guess. Bit will put me on until the new units arrive (maybe) :smile:

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 19, 2021, 11:53:46 PM
Are you sure its the bottom? I'd of thought it was the top?

They are concave on the bottom so that last picture is the top as you said and seen plenty of people install them upside down because they go in easier that way  :hyst:

This picture shows the top of the mounts
[attach=1,msg1393360]

This picture shows the bottom of the mounts
[attach=0,msg1393360]

1340evo

So the top pic shows them all in the correct orientation as you'd use them ...

Scotty

Quote from: 1340evo on August 20, 2021, 02:14:46 AM
So the top pic shows them all in the correct orientation as you'd use them ...

Correct

HogMike

Sorry for the miss-information.

The bottom of the engine mount rests on the TOP of the round plate.
I remember trying a couple of different styles of styles before going to the one pictured below:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

I think it's time to clean all the old oil and dirt off now that I got it clear.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

1340evo

Yes, needs a clean  :SM:  this is my new design of mount that workes very well... two rubber hardnesses for optimum vibration reduction.. think I'll patent it  :wink:

HogMike

Quote from: 1340evo on August 18, 2021, 11:24:44 AM
Hi guido4198, thats what I've seen on a number of posts and why I went this way. I hope it kills my 2.5K vibes a bit as the rubber one don't deal with it well. I may change the rears also but they are new just over 2K ago. No idea what the original ones were as it wasn't my bike then, but these do feel very hard so again may contribute to the vibes.

Not sure why Lumberjack has so much against them.. have you actualy fitted one and tried it LJ?
The assembly holds the wire mesh and it acts as a spring in all directions so will actualy give you more damping that the rubber? would be good to hear what you found on yours??

I also dealt with vibration issues at 2200-2500 rpm range. Only noticed it when I went to the new 113" motor.
After playing around with alignment and breaking in the motor, I found the vibration was still there but from about 2700 and up the vibration was gone. I think some of that had to be due to a particular motor.
My latest is most "happy" around 3000 rpm, right where the power band starts. My torque curve starts about there anyway.
Some motors just seem to vibrate more than others.  :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

1340evo

Well, its been in bits, flywheels trued, new pistons all weighed and balanced to 60%, heads CC'd and adjusted along with deck heights so both cylinders are the exact same, and its still there... not as bad for sure, but still not 100%.  Retarding the ignition made a differance and with the ignition I have in there now I can off-set the rear cylinder, so will check that once run in a bit more as I'm sure these can be out a couple of deg to one another   :nix:

kd

It's a 45 degree  V twin and it will never be 100%.
KD

Burnout

You can only balance it for ONE rpm, and what ever is left is what you get.

You can speed up or slow down or change gears.

I'll never understand folks who worry about vibes, it's a Harley Davidson!!!!! More folks would bitch, if they were able to eliminate the shake .

I recommend a Twin Cam Softail for those folks, the nice motor with twin balance shafts. Still shakes though.
Or a nice low compression 74" Shovel with the massive flywheels. They still shake too.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

I know they will always shake in one RPM range, but why not srive to get it as good as you can?
As said before, I don't remember my Shovel doing it like the FXR or any of the Sportsters I've had, and the FXR is rubber mount

But, there is obviously nothing wrong with it as its all been looked at.

What I need to is ride another FXR and then I either be impressed with mine or very dispointed, so I won't go there.
But will keep trying to reduce it as much as I can

To add to the equation, I do have quite a hard seat and rear shocks so those won't help

Will report back on the new mounts when they arrive :)