March 28, 2024, 12:22:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

push rods

Started by nascar7613, August 17, 2021, 02:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascar7613

1992 Heritage has a ticking noise, sounds like it is coming from the rocker box. The lifters were replaced a couple months ago with s&s lifters. It sounds like a pushrod is loose. It has adjustable pushrods that have probably been in there a long time. I pulled the pushrod covers up and put the lifters on the base circle. When I spin the pushrod with my fingers, they feel about right except there is one spot where they get noticeably looser, same spot every time. The exhaust pushrods are more noticeable then the intakes, but they all do it. I would think they would have a consistent feel as they are being spun, but when they hit the looser spot they spin much easier. The loose spot is very small and I can't move the pushrod up and down or anything they are just much easier to turn in that spot. Could be the noise?

Burnout

Look to the right side of your screen one of the ads may be your answer  >>>>>>>>>>
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

lumberjacklloyd

Quote from: nascar7613 on August 17, 2021, 02:52:37 PM
1992 Heritage has a ticking noise, sounds like it is coming from the rocker box. The lifters were replaced a couple months ago with s&s lifters. It sounds like a pushrod is loose. It has adjustable pushrods that have probably been in there a long time. I pulled the pushrod covers up and put the lifters on the base circle. When I spin the pushrod with my fingers, they feel about right except there is one spot where they get noticeably looser, same spot every time. The exhaust pushrods are more noticeable then the intakes, but they all do it. I would think they would have a consistent feel as they are being spun, but when they hit the looser spot they spin much easier. The loose spot is very small and I can't move the pushrod up and down or anything they are just much easier to turn in that spot. Could be the noise?

I have bought two crate S&S engines in the past year and both had fully collapsing lifters. S&S sent me multiple sets of evo lifters and the issue never went away. Installed Comp Cams Race lifters and haven't had the issue since. S&S admitted to having a quality issue and compensated me for the Comp lifters. If you are getting oil to all lifters and pushrods are adjusted properly, you may have the same issue.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: nascar7613 on August 17, 2021, 02:52:37 PM
Check out the website in my sig line... might be just what you need.... thousands cured.   :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!