2010 Ultra Speaker Switch

Started by scootertrash1, August 18, 2021, 11:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

Hello All,
2010 Ultra
Stock radio with Hog Tunes 4 chan. Amp
4 Hog Tunes speaker
Just returned from 4922 mile trip to Sturgis. On the run out there from Florida, I was using head set in the helmet with mic. I had the CB, listening to CDs and Pandora through my phone. Everything working fine. Once in the S. Dakota, the helmet came off and flipped the speaker switch to listen through the 4 speakers. In the beginning everything plays fine for 5 or 10 minutes then gets static as well garbled sound more so through both (New) rear speakers but eventually through the front speakers. Even after a longer period of time the front will do the same thing. If I flip speaker switch back and forth does NOT seem to help. Shut the whole system down for 5 minutes or so and restart the system, we go through the same thing. On the way home, helmet back on and listened to everything fine through head set. I see the price of the switch through HD is $79.99.  I did mention new rear speakers. I had a set of J&W rear speakers in with tweeters. The right side started flapping, being they were nearly 8 years old and subject to rain and all other weather conditions, I assumed they went bad. But it was the beginning of the problem. I do most of the time listen to through the speakers as I am a blues guy biker. Before I invest in this switch, anything else to look at?

Coyote

You can try a new switch but I think it's more likely your HK radio. They have a history of developing this type of problem.

scootertrash1

I had emailed Iron Cross about the issue. They just responded that it is not the switch with the problem. No audio run through the switch, so there is other switching taking place in the HK unit for different outputs for headset, 2 speakers or 4 speakers. Ah, recall the old days when you went out for a ride with no phone, tunes or background noise!

Coyote

Quote from: scootertrash1 on August 18, 2021, 02:54:31 PM
I had emailed Iron Cross about the issue. They just responded that it is not the switch with the problem. No audio run through the switch, so there is other switching taking place in the HK unit for different outputs for headset, 2 speakers or 4 speakers. Ah, recall the old days when you went out for a ride with no phone, tunes or background noise!

Yes I already know that. It's the reason I posted "but I think it's more likely your HK radio."

The fact there is no audio going through the switch doesn't mean it can't fail and keep the radio from switching the audio outputs. It's just not usually been the issue.

scootertrash1