May 01, 2024, 01:13:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Air temp gauge

Started by hogpipes1, August 05, 2022, 08:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

03 bagger air temp pegs @ 100 when ign  is turned on .might hit normal air temp when riding or  it pegs back to 100* .My 1st look will be at the temp sensor, is  this easy access pulling the H- lite guts out? TKS.

Coyote

I think you will find you need to pull the fairing. The temp sensor is snapped into the fairing brackets. And it's Probably a connection issue at the sensor or the gauge anyways.

Hossamania

Funny, I haven't looked at that guage in 6 years, it could be pegged to 100° for all I know.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hogpipes1

If it was easy to get at I would take a look.Pulling the fairing it's not worth my time for Gage that was crappy to begin with.

fleetmechanic

Never had one.  Where is the sensor located?

Hossamania

Quote from: hogpipes1 on August 05, 2022, 02:49:41 PMIf it was easy to get at I would take a look.Pulling the fairing it's not worth my time for Gage that was crappy to begin with.

Pulling the batwing fairing is pretty easy, pull the headlight (if I remember right) and 3 screws for the windshield, 2 screws at the bottom of the fairing.

Coyote

No need to pull the headlight at all. You didn't say which touring bike so...

You may be able to see the sensor if you look up next to the left fork tube. I can't remember how low it is but it snaps into the fairing bracket.

smoserx1

I believe this is it.  Notice my "repaired" fairing bracket with Hardware store parts.

rkrcpa

Just a random thought.....why is there an air temp gauge? In 50 years of riding I've never needed a gauge to know whether I was hot or cold while riding.

Hossamania

Quote from: rkrcpa on August 07, 2022, 06:25:57 AMJust a random thought.....why is there an air temp gauge? In 50 years of riding I've never needed a gauge to know whether I was hot or cold while riding.

I think it started out as a novelty item and just carried thru the years. Cheaper and less complicated than an oil temp guage.

bump

A compass would be a handier option. Not the ones they used to sell though.

tdrglide

I swapped mine out for a cylinder head temp gauge

hogpipes1

Took a look up the faring today ,it was hanging down off the bracket enough to disconnect.just a small white cube with 3 wire plug.it test out at 50ohms. Don't know the spec if that's with in range or not.  Dealer says have to order &  $ 20. He sold 6 in 25 yrs.plugged  it back in and that's it.

jmorton10

Quote from: tdrglide on August 07, 2022, 11:57:23 AMI swapped mine out for a cylinder head temp gauge

I thought that's what everybody did haha

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

calif phil

I can't tell you how many folks over the years that think it's an air pressure gauge for the rear air shocks. Oil temp gauge is a good replacement for it.