April 17, 2024, 05:23:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hydraulic Clutch Problems

Started by Ken R, August 19, 2021, 09:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

2020 Electra Glide Standard.  I just rode through Leadville, Colorado.  No problems with the clutch.

Merch

Recently the clutch on on my 2018 is dragging, not fully dis-engaging when clutch lever pulled fully in. Fluid has been flushed and changed, bleed a few times. Shifting between gears is normal. Require significant brake at a stop to hold the bike bad at a stop in first. Finding neutral is 50/50. Primary Oil (Amsoil V-Twin Primary) is clean, very little clutch wear on drain plug. Bike has the AIM slave installed as soon as the recall came out (approx 20 000 miles on unit since). Elevation and temp does not seem to make a difference. Bike can sit over night, no issues, next day problems. What are the symptoms of the AIM unit failing?

david lee

HogMike

Quote from: Ken R on August 22, 2021, 03:04:14 PMWell, I bought a hydraulic fluid moisture tester on Amazon.  It came late last night.  Too late to go out in the dark and check the motorcycle's system.

BUT, I have several opened bottles of hydraulic fluid on the shelf in the workshop, so I did run down and check those.  (All DOT4 MOTUL 600).  Checked them all, a half dozen or so bottles. 
All but one checked with <1  percent with one checking >4 percent.   Don't know why the one tested higher; it was the most full and they're all kept in air conditioned space.   I'll probably toss them all. 

TODAY, I checked the fluid in the motorcycle.  The level was just as I'd left it when I changed the fluid last winter.  But interestingly, the moisture level was >4%!  The tester lit up like a Christmas Tree! 
Out of curiosity, I then checked my brake fluid.  It was also >4%.   Both unacceptable.  No idea how much over 4%.   :scratch:  How in the world does moisture get into the sealed hydraulic systems?  :nix:

Just to be sure, I went back and checked a couple of the open bottles of fluid that I have on the shelf.  Both <1%. 
So I can believe the checker. 

Guess I'll pull the exhaust loose again. :doh:  GRRRR!  It'll be the 3rd time in 2 years. :crook: 

Trim the bottom of your side cover, just enough to clear the exhaust.
Glue the rubber strip back on and in the future you can leave the exhaust alone.
 :hug:

I check my fluids about once a year and change as needed. The clutch seems to have a higher moisture content than the brakes.

Going on 4 years with the muller slave, stock HD master, 59k miles in all kinds of weather and altitudes on my 2019 with no issues.

:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Merch

August 02, 2022, 08:18:13 AM #29 Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 03:16:42 PM by Merch
Master cylinder appears good to be leak free. Going to try and source a new slave cylinder.
Another failed AIM slave cylinder replaced. Internal seal leak.

r0de_runr

Quote from: HogMike on August 02, 2022, 04:17:34 AM
Quote from: Ken R on August 22, 2021, 03:04:14 PMWell, I bought a hydraulic fluid moisture tester on Amazon.  It came late last night.  Too late to go out in the dark and check the motorcycle's system.

BUT, I have several opened bottles of hydraulic fluid on the shelf in the workshop, so I did run down and check those.  (All DOT4 MOTUL 600).  Checked them all, a half dozen or so bottles. 
All but one checked with <1  percent with one checking >4 percent.   Don't know why the one tested higher; it was the most full and they're all kept in air conditioned space.   I'll probably toss them all. 

TODAY, I checked the fluid in the motorcycle.  The level was just as I'd left it when I changed the fluid last winter.  But interestingly, the moisture level was >4%!  The tester lit up like a Christmas Tree! 
Out of curiosity, I then checked my brake fluid.  It was also >4%.   Both unacceptable.  No idea how much over 4%.   :scratch:  How in the world does moisture get into the sealed hydraulic systems?  :nix:

Just to be sure, I went back and checked a couple of the open bottles of fluid that I have on the shelf.  Both <1%. 
So I can believe the checker. 

Guess I'll pull the exhaust loose again. :doh:  GRRRR!  It'll be the 3rd time in 2 years. :crook: 

Trim the bottom of your side cover, just enough to clear the exhaust.
Glue the rubber strip back on and in the future you can leave the exhaust alone.
 :hug:

I check my fluids about once a year and change as needed. The clutch seems to have a higher moisture content than the brakes.

Going on 4 years with the muller slave, stock HD master, 59k miles in all kinds of weather and altitudes on my 2019 with no issues.

:nix:

why glue the rubber strip back on?
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.