April 19, 2024, 05:20:44 AM

News:

Cams for an 88TC

Started by JDhog211, August 24, 2021, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

I'm looking at replacing my original cam in my 2004 FLHT Standard.
Looking for just a Cam to replace my stock one. I have no idea what the Specs are on the stock cam, but I do like the low to mid range torque it produces.
Has anyone tried the S&S 509? What could I expect from it.

Thanks in Advance
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

kd

Changing "just the cam" has strings attached. A cam change is enough to require tune.  Especially if you have a free flowing breather and exhaust already. 
KD

JDhog211

I still have stock air and exhaust.
JD

S&S 475 is a stock replacement. Here are the specs compared to the 509.

rigidthumper

Carb H-D "A" specs are; intake -2 open, 38 close, .473" lift.  exhaust 36 open, 04 close, .473" lift.
S&S  509 specs are:  intake 18 open, 18 close, .509" lift.  exhaust 46 open, 11 close, .509" lift.
Andrews 21 is a better choice, IMO. 10/30,.498"; 40/08, .498"
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JDhog211

Thanks for your responses.

Hillside Motorcycle

Our go-to is an Andrews 21 in those.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Quote from: JDhog211 on August 24, 2021, 07:05:59 PM
I still have stock air and exhaust.
JD

If carbed, it may need new jetting. If EFI, it most likely would benefit from a tune of some sort. It could also use more air, a freer flowing cleaner in your airbox,  not absolutely necessary, but it would help.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tbird

509's best for 88", tried Andrews 37 -26- 21's in same bike.  Bike carbed.  509's ran the best and still in bike, 110,000 miles on bike.

PC_Hater

Andrews 21G gear drive cams in my 1999 Road Glide still at 88".
It will need a tune, perks things up nicely!
Mine ran without a tune no problems, just so much better after some dynotime.
That was with MM EFI, now Mikuni HSR42 carb with standard TC88 settings.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

JDhog211

Thanks for all your responses, I have heard a lot about the Andrews 21, but I do like to here more about Stock 88 riders with the 509 and how they compare that cam.

mkd

i put the 26 andres in my 95, in a stock 88 the andrews 21 is recommended.

Hossamania

A friend has the 509 in his '05 RK, but he put on an exhaust that is WAY too big, and has soft low end response, but it picks up quite nicely at midrange. It is not a good comparison to your set up, and recommended the 509 to him based on many posts read here, not knowing his exhaust change coming. He screwed it up with "cool" exhaust. I would have no problem recommending the 509 again.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

I put an Andrews 21N cam set in my 99 FLHT late in 2010 and they are still in today.  If I were going to the trouble to purchase new cams I would go with the conversion cams and the 2007 cam plate setup.  Andrews has a list of the parts you would need.  I just recently went in to see what the tensioner shoes looked like.  Here is a picture of them after 75000 miles:
[attach=0]
They could have easily gone over 100000 miles, probably a lot more.  I did replace the shoes and lifters while I was in there.  Since I originally installed these cams I did a top end on the bike and made it into a 95.  The cams work fine with either displacement.  And no I would not say I tuned anything (although mine is carbureted).  in any event I would not put anything back in that uses those old type chains, including the screaming eagle "hybrid" kit.  I don't believe S&S makes a conversion cam set and simply for that reason I would not use them.

mkd

26n in my 95 with the hydraulic lifters and was very pleased with the setup. lots of bottom end torque, way less downshifting going into corners and pulling up inclines. made my efi feel like a carbureted big with the low torque gains . dyno tuned with sniffers placed in bungs crimped into the stock header pipes.

Scuba10jdl

S&S 509G, true duals, slip on exhaust, SE air cleaner.
2002 XLH883/1250 - 1972 XLCH 1000