March 28, 2024, 10:21:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2017 Ultra Classic clutch switch

Started by 67msarg3, August 25, 2021, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67msarg3

Problem, out of no where, the bike started stalling while letting clutch out in 1st gear, UNLESS you applied lots of throttle. Other symptom is a sound that I don't hear all the (usually in first gear idling) time which mimics an exhaust leak. when that sound starts, that's when it likes to stall.

OK, all of the reading I have done here, the experts seem to agree that it is the clutch switch that causes the bike to stall. My question is, since I bought it used, will Harley still replace the switch for free or is it now out of pocket?

Thanks.

rigidthumper

Factory warranty is two years, so a 2017 would be out.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

KD

Hossamania

I don't see how a defective clutch or side stand switch would work by giving it more throttle.
Could the exhaust leak sound be an exhaust leak, or a plug wire or other electrical wire shorting out and "sparking" creating that sound?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

cheech

Have someone competent diagnose it. The clutch switch is safety as far as disallowing the bike to be started if the clutch lever isn't pulled.
Basically only affecting the starting circuit. It doesn't allow the bike to spin over, but wouldn't seem it kills or has anything in the ignition circuit.
It's all fed to the BCM and it's deciding what protocol to follow. So hard to say.
An electrical diagnostics manual for that bike would walk you through the diagnostic procedure for the clutch switch I bet.  :wink:

So I don't see a correlation between the problem subsiding if given enough throttle. If it was the switch no amount of throttle is going to remedy that.
Clutch switch is part of the left hand switch pack, so I don't think the clutch switch alone you can replace due to it being Canbus.

Put the bike in gear, try to start it. Then pull the clutch in with it in gear, try to start it. If it doesn't crank (it shouldn't) without the clutch pulled, but does every time with it pulled. I doubt there is any issue with the clutch switch.

Hossamania

Same procedure with the side stand switch.

Buglet

The sound you are hearing is probably your EITMS is kicking in and then it's running one one cylinder.

tomcat64

once the factory warranty is out,, it's out..

also check to see if you ETMS is "disabled"  If not do it

tbird

Don't own anything with a clutch switch. Takes all the humor away. Couple of weeks ago I watched a drunk walk out to his v-rod. Standing next to it on the right side talking "Potty mouth", he reaches out and hits the starter button. Bike launches forward and lands out in the street mufflers up.

FSG

QuoteTakes all the humor away.

that it does   :hyst:

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Hossamania on August 25, 2021, 12:32:05 PM
Same procedure with the side stand switch.

The bike in question doesn`t have a side stand switch.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Schex3x

Quote from: Buglet on August 25, 2021, 12:57:23 PM
   The sound you are hearing is probably your EITMS is kicking in and then it's running one one cylinder.

This,,,,  the clutch switch also disengages the EITMS
My '17 RG clutch switch stopped working with around 20k miles on it, I removed the clutch handle, sprayed switch with WD-40 and blew with air, worked switch with my finger, sprayed and blew again, bike now has 60k and it's still working.

tbird

Coyote

67msarg3

There seem to be more people with this same problem and have recommended replacing the clutch switch. So, I took the original apart and it is the one covered by the TSM for replacement. Since mine is an '17 I didn't think Harley would just send me one so i ordered a new one. Made sure it had the part # recommended in the TSM and I replaced it. Took it for a short ride and guess what...... didn't fix the problem. I also turned off the EITMS (SP?) and that didn't make a difference.

Could the Automatic Compression Relief valve be the issue? I swear this thing sounds just like an air compressor unloading when it starts idling weird. If it is the ACR, would it show any other symptoms in higher gears? I dont think I can ascertain anything different but it sure sounds like a somewhat "dead" cylinder. That doesn't make much sense to me as the thing will haul ass!

hogmandon

I don't have ACRs on my bike only manual CRs but when then engine fires it closes them so maybe your are dirty and don't close properly until you rev the engine up. I think yours are vented in the exhaust port so you might hear then leaking. Try some fuel cleaner to get them to work better and or replace