March 29, 2024, 01:05:28 AM

News:

Piston Oil Jets

Started by Pog, August 26, 2021, 05:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pog

I saw a video where the piston oil jets were loose and not properly torqued. How common is this and could it contribute to the sumping issue with the M8's?

rich1

It can lead to sumping. Guys who build a lot of engines report they often find them  loose, but typically not loose enough to cause sumping. If I were to build an engine I would absolutely address it while the cylinders were off.

Prostock

Most of the time we find that they are not flat, we have them resurfaced and run a cometic gasket.

Sunny Jim

Do they often fail? Is over oiling an issue?

rich1

I have asked two different engine builders about this. Both said they always check them. And often find them loose. But not to the point they had caused sumping. That says to me it's a known issue but isn't causing wide spread sumping. I have heard of another engine builder who claims they are pretty much all way too loose and causing sumping. I have not personally talked to that builder but his take certainly runs to the sky is falling side of things. If my bike ever starts to sump or if I build it into a larger engine I will address it then. In the meantime no use in worrying about it in my opinion

Deye76

Ok, so what's the solution, another faulty MoCo jet/oiler?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP