Anybody ever do just speakers, no amp?

Started by Eccool, August 27, 2021, 10:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

After finally upgrading my phone to one that has Bluetooth (don't laugh), I was disappointed that I couldn't hear my music at 70 with stock mufflers ('14 Ultra Limited).  Don't want to put a whole lot of money into this bike.  Anybody ever do just speakers (front & rear)?  If so, what did you go with?  Thanks!

Hossamania

A speaker upgrade will help, I have a '12 with the 5" speakers, I replaced the fronts with HD BOOM! speakers (free), off of a '17, they do work better. But, an amp and better speakers are on the list.
Were I to buy speakers, I would go with Infinity 6.5s, or check with California Phil (a vendor here) on speakers and maybe a whole package with an amp. He likes the HogTunes products, and Biketronics makes some nice stuff.
If you peruse the audio section here, you will find a lot of info.
Be aware that your speakers are 2 ohm, aftermarket are 4 ohm, and will actually be a little quieter but better sound. The BOOM speakers I have are 2 ohm, so get louder than my stocks did, but could be better.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

NHBagger

I did Infinity Kappas up front on my 14 Tri Glide but never changed the Tour Pac speakers. Fitment back there can be tricky so I just left the stock ones for now. Overall the sound is okay but certainly not loud and clear. I just don't listen snout to justify an amp.

Leed

I used the same speakers as NHbagger. They definitely improved the sound but it was still bad at highway speeds. Then I put in a Alpine head unit with matching amp and now I can listen at highway speeds.

03rg

I just did what your talking about. I put a set of Hogtunes 462F-RM 6.5" speakers in my 19 Road Glide Ultra. I was looking for more volume at highway speeds.

The results; A little better in quality and volume but not everything I was expecting / hoping for. The speakers were only $160 for the pair and the quality (at least to me) is excellent. Got what I paid for.

I did a similar upgrade to the 03 Road Glide years ago and I guess I was expecting the same results. On the 03 it made a huge difference and was everything I needed/wanted.  That bike also has an aftermarket radio in it (Kenwood I think).

So now I was out looking at the Hogtunes website and I'm looking at amps..... I came across the "QC 475-RM "Quadcast" 4 Channel Amp with R.E.M.IT.". Click the more information button and there is this note;
"Note 2:From a sonic point of view, Road Glide Ultra has the correct flash, however, the factory flash in Road Glide Ultra
makes the radio play considerably QUIETER than it could. Less signal out from the radio means less signal going into the
amps. If you install this system without a reflash,it will sound great, but will NOT reach its potential volume. A radio
reflash by a Techno Research dealer is required to make this system play to its full volume potential. An OEM Dealer
reflash will not "fix" this, as the OEM flash looks at the bikes VIN and will re-install the same "quiet" flash.
"

So I guess my first question related to the original post is if this is specific to the RGU radio flash or does it apply to other Infotainment systems?
Second would be, does it apply to just the GT units or to the GTS also?

Disclaimer: This is as far as I've gotten so far, I haven't done any searches on this site or others or contacted Hogtunes etc etc etc...  That's all next.

Hossamania

I will say that the stock head unit on my '12 Ultra does clip out and set a limit on the volume, no matter how loud I turn it up, it only goes so high, with a lot of volume range left to go on the switch. Perhaps a reflash would help.
I am a guy that believes all stereos should turn up to 11.

poboy

Back in 2010 I replaced the OEM's in my 09 CVO RG with JM Sound speakers no amp first time around so as to stay within factory ohm requirements, upgrade in sound but not impressed! Added the JM 4 channel amp louder, clearer & more bass standing still, & could be heard at highway speeds but not fantastic.     Poboy

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on August 28, 2021, 05:27:19 PM
I will say that the stock head unit on my '12 Ultra does clip out and set a limit on the volume, no matter how loud I turn it up, it only goes so high, with a lot of volume range left to go on the switch. Perhaps a reflash would help.

How's your tinnitus doing these days. 😎
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on September 10, 2021, 10:22:37 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on August 28, 2021, 05:27:19 PM

How's your tinnitus doing these days. 😎

What? Would someone please answer the phone, it's been ringing for 38 years.

Pete_Vit

Late to the game here, but I did replace just the speakers on my 10 Ultra, Focal 2 way -

https://www.focal-america.com/product/hda-165-98-2013/

next year I'll do the small amp upgrade and prolly a Sony BT head until so I can use the same Sony music center app for the bike and my car.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Eccool

Pete, were you pleased with the results?  Thanks!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Eccool on October 18, 2021, 02:15:34 PM
Pete, were you pleased with the results?  Thanks!
Indeed, a little pricey but with the stock AMP I can hear my music with a FF helmet no problem. I want to add the amp and new head unit so I can use BT and get more bass boost
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch