2009 FLHT ... Clutch cable being the ground to transmission.

Started by 74bigdog88, August 31, 2021, 12:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74bigdog88

Clutch cable became solid. Inspecting cable it was pinkish in color 6 inches from where it entered trans cover the rest was darker in color until adjuster. All grounds on the bike look good. Any suggestions.  Clear steel cables getting hot enternally.

kd

Grounds from the front end and bars too?  How did you confirm their continuity?
KD

rigidthumper

I've seen this before- ruins the cable internally. Verify the ground from the voltage regulator to the dirty ground point ( left ground in front of battery is solid. It's prolly time to refresh all grounds- two from the harness to frame, & the  main from battery to frame- not visually, replace the ends on the frame grounds in front of the battery, and replace the main battery ground cable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fidel

On my road King samething hapen battery to frame Ground  problèm

PoorUB

Quote from: kd on August 31, 2021, 01:38:58 PM
Grounds from the front end and bars too?  How did you confirm their continuity?

Have a friend push the start button while you put one voltmeter probe on the engine and the other on the frame. If it shows any voltage the ground wire is bad. You can do the same with the handle bars to frame, even battery negative to frame. If the connections are good it might show .1 volt. If you get over .5 volt you have a problem. In this case with the fried clutch cable my bet it will show 2-3 volts. More voltage is worse.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!