April 17, 2024, 05:13:56 PM

News:

No Start/ No Compression

Started by rkrcpa, September 01, 2021, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sycho01

Put air into the cylinder with no compression and see which valve is not sealing.
I would also consider a dirty or clogged lifter on that cylinder before removing the head for further inspection.

HogMike

Quote from: rkrcpa on September 03, 2021, 04:13:46 AM
Quote from: HogMike on September 02, 2021, 05:10:08 PM
Quote from: rkrcpa on September 02, 2021, 01:08:50 PM
Quote from: Chief0299 on September 02, 2021, 12:29:54 PM
Hang on a sec... why are you saying no compression? Have you done a compression check, or is that what the DTC code comes up saying?

Hold your thumb on the spark plug hole and there is no compression. Zero, zilch, nada. Yet when it does eventually fire it runs just fine.

That is why I am at a loss for an explanation. It is a very unusual intermittent symptom. It could very well start with no problem on the next try.

No ACR?

valve sticking in guide?
Seen it more than once.

When it DOES run, how does it sound?
Stock bike with stock muffler and intake?
:nix:

Once it starts it runs and sounds normal, as if nothing had happened. The only thing I can think is a valve sticking, but the intermittent nature is what is baffling.

The intermittent nature is how mine started also, until the guide finally came loose in the head. Probably due to the heat of the engine.
It was the rear exhaust guide.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Ohio HD

Quote from: Sycho01 on September 03, 2021, 06:11:40 AM
Put air into the cylinder with no compression and see which valve is not sealing.
I would also consider a dirty or clogged lifter on that cylinder before removing the head for further inspection.

A lifter won't extend unless there is no pressure on the pushrod. For that to happened a pushrod would be bent, or the valve sticking open. A collapsed lifter wouldn't cause lack of compression in a cylinder.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 03, 2021, 09:04:23 AM

A lifter won't extend unless there is no pressure on the pushrod. For that to happened a pushrod would be bent, or the valve sticking open. A collapsed lifter wouldn't cause lack of compression in a cylinder.

:agree:  A collapsed intake lifter will actually raise the compression when cranking due to the change in valve closing timing.  Hot start bleed down is an example of that.
KD

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on September 03, 2021, 09:43:54 AM

:agree:  A collapsed intake lifter will actually raise the compression when cranking due to the change in valve closing timing.  Hot start bleed down is an example of that.

For my continuing education.. and off topic a bit.. If a lifter bleeds down so much that it won't open a valve on an engine at normal operating temp and you experience the "hot soak" thing wouldn't that lifter make a lot of noise when the engine does start until it's pumped up again ?
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

September 03, 2021, 11:38:58 AM #30 Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:16:53 PM by kd
Quote from: motorhogman on September 03, 2021, 10:47:36 AM

For my continuing education.. and off topic a bit.. If a lifter bleeds down so much that it won't open a valve on an engine at normal operating temp and you experience the "hot soak" thing wouldn't that lifter make a lot of noise when the engine does start until it's pumped up again ?

For the sake of your question and discussion, a typically set lifter is .100 deep (whether one piece or adjustable pushrods set to usual instructions). That isn't enough to prevent a valve from opening.  Remember even OEM cams have about .500 lift available.  What it does do is change the timing of the valve opening (later) and closing (earlier).  Early closing intake valves do cause higher compression with the cranking speed and makes the engine stall it's rotation (due to higher compression) or kick back (starter grinding or similar symptoms).  For example, if after fueling at the pumps with a hot engine it cranks hard and one or more valves clack a few times before pumping up, it usually indicates bleed down from hot thin oil escaping the lifter(s). Even if the lifters are set full depth at .200 deep, it will still open the valve(s) but you will hear the tell tale clicking of the valves for the first seconds of start-up. This can be exaggerated with stronger valve springs causing the leak down to occur more often. The main point is the valve will never fail to open due to bleed down.  It just opens at a different time in the slow cranking speed and can cause the symptoms I described for the reasons I mentioned.  Hope that helps.
KD

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on September 03, 2021, 11:38:58 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on September 03, 2021, 10:47:36 AM

For the sake of your question and discussion, a typically set lifter is .100 deep (whether one piece or adjustable pushrods set to usual instructions). That isn't enough to prevent a valve from opening.  Remember even OEM cams have about .500 lift available.  What it does do is change the timing of the valve opening (later) and closing (earlier).  Early closing intake valves do cause higher compression with the cranking speed and makes the engine stall it's rotation (due to higher compression) or kick back (starter grinding or similar symptoms).  For example, if after fueling at the pumps with a hot engine it cranks hard and one or more valves clack a few times before pumping up, it usually indicates bleed down from hot thin oil escaping the lifter(s). Even if the lifters are set full depth at .200 deep, it will still open the valve(s) but you will hear the tell tale clicking of the valves for the first seconds of start-up. This can be exaggerated with stronger valve springs causing the leak down to occur more often. The main point is the valve will never fail to open due to bleed down.  It just opens at a different time in the slow cranking speed and can cause the symptoms I described for the reasons I mentioned.  Hope that helps.

Thanks KD. Appreciate that explanation.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

smoserx1

QuoteIf a lifter bleeds down so much that it won't open a valve on an engine at normal operating temp and you experience the "hot soak" thing wouldn't that lifter make a lot of noise when the engine does start until it's pumped up again ?

IMO not necessarily if you are using good lifters.  The thing KD was explaining pretty much happens every time you shut down your engine.  It comes to stop at a random place and chances are at least one valve will be partially open.  For any valve(s) that are open the respective lifters will bleed down until either the valve closes or the lifter runs out of travel, whichever happens first.  You would think this would cause noise but a good lifter will pump up so fast you won't perceive any noise.  My engine is a very early twin cam and the lifters that originally came in the bike would clatter very loudly for a second or so almost every first start of the day (actually it is not the lifter making noise rather the resulting slop in the rest of the valve train caused by the "up-pumped-up lifter".) "B" lifters virtually eliminated this for me.  The slower a lifter pumps up the more likely is is to cause a racket and the longer the noise might persist. Travel limiters can help here as well as making starting easier since they greatly reduce the timing shift that KD explained above.  Hope I didn't hijack anything...just wanted to clarify.

JDhog211

I'd try and take a look inside both cylinders. Use a bore scope for this, mine has
2 cameras , one which is side mounted and gets a good look at my valves, while the straight tip lens can take a look at piston top.

Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Don D

When the valves, rear exhaust usually, has oil coming down the guide they carbon up and will stick. It can be intermittent as valve spring pressure can usually get them closed. Next step is they stick so bad they get stuck so bad they bend from hitting the piston and/or the other valve.

kd

If at this point the engine still has no compression in the one cylinder, IMO the quickest and easiest way to check for a stuck valve would be to open up the pushrod covers and slowly rotate the engine through TDC compression while spinning (or trying to spin) the pushrods. It may even show up approaching TDC.  A stuck valve will have a pushrod with considerable loose wobble or up and down play.  Removing the rocker cover will also confirm the same but with considerably more effort. . 
KD

rkrcpa

Quote from: kd on September 05, 2021, 08:43:53 AM
A stuck valve will have a pushrod with considerable loose wobble or up and down play.  Removing the rocker cover will also confirm the same but with considerably more effort. .

This was my thought as well.

OldBogie

The simple way to get an idea of where which has already be mentioned is when this is happening get a spark plug to air hose adapters and run some compressed air in there, you will hear where the leak is.

Given it comes and goes it most likely is a sticky valve. This is pretty common on air cooled engines. Lifters don't have a lot of internal movement. Even a fully collapsed lifter has enough lift left to get the engine running, and they don't recover all that quickly that you wouldn't hear it tick for a couple, three seconds or more. Generally a cam lobe or lifter going away will still pass a compression test. If it's gone so much that no compression is read it's not likely to be an intermittent cause.

On the list of strange it could be a valve spring is giving up and no longer exerts enough pressure to get a valve closed without the dynamic of actually running.

Valve face and valve seat failures tend to be permanent rather intermittent. If you ran leaded fuel the deposits that collect on the back side and lower stem of the valve can do this it persists till they break or burn off.

A slipping cam lobe is unlikely to slip to somewhere then find its way home again. In any event such a happening would let piston and valve meet somewhere along this path.

As far as sticking valves go and running out of piston to valve clearance winding the motor out to where the valve train looses control of the valve could result in pistons smacking valve thus bending it a bit which could be a source of the problem. So consider if this started after winding it out.

Since you don't have compression relief cams that at least you don't know of I haven't put that on the table.

I go back to a simple air pressure test when this happens that will let you hear where it's getting out be that one of the valves or around the piston.

Bogie

jsachs1

Quote from: OldBogie on September 15, 2021, 01:52:04 PM
The simple way to get an idea of where which has already be mentioned is when this is happening get a spark plug to air hose adapters and run some compressed air in there, you will hear where the leak is.

Given it comes and goes it most likely is a sticky valve. This is pretty common on air cooled engines. Lifters don't have a lot of internal movement. Even a fully collapsed lifter has enough lift left to get the engine running, and they don't recover all that quickly that you wouldn't hear it tick for a couple, three seconds or more. Generally a cam lobe or lifter going away will still pass a compression test. If it's gone so much that no compression is read it's not likely to be an intermittent cause.

On the list of strange it could be a valve spring is giving up and no longer exerts enough pressure to get a valve closed without the dynamic of actually running.

Valve face and valve seat failures tend to be permanent rather intermittent. If you ran leaded fuel the deposits that collect on the back side and lower stem of the valve can do this it persists till they break or burn off.

A slipping cam lobe is unlikely to slip to somewhere then find its way home again. In any event such a happening would let piston and valve meet somewhere along this path.

As far as sticking valves go and running out of piston to valve clearance winding the motor out to where the valve train looses control of the valve could result in pistons smacking valve thus bending it a bit which could be a source of the problem. So consider if this started after winding it out.

Since you don't have compression relief cams that at least you don't know of I haven't put that on the table.

I go back to a simple air pressure test when this happens that will let you hear where it's getting out be that one of the valves or around the piston.

Bogie
Not as simple as just putting air in the cylinder with the engine completely together. You need to be sure you're on the COMPRESSION STROKE of the cylinder you're checking. :wink:
John

kd

:agree: And you have to prevent it from rolling over when you add the air.
KD

OldBogie

It doesn't matter if the piston is TDC or preferable at BDC we're not doing  leak down test we're only looking to hear if these is a significant leakage past either valves or rings by expectation is rings. If air rushes out the intake you can figure it's an intake if exhaust then  it's exhaust. At this point we're not solving the problem, just trying to get some confidence as to where it might be. I not totally convinced other than it might be interesting to know as it sounds like the engine needs to come out no matter and your not going to have a complete idea of the damage till it's apart.

All we're trying to here is confirm our suspicions.

Bogie

kd

I am sorry but I don't agree.  You are in fact doing a leak down test of sorts only wild and not with gauges.  If you put air to a cylinder that is anywhere but on TDC compression you will get "natural" bypass.  On the intake stroke the air will rush out the intake "because the cam is holding the intake valve open".  Not because it is sticking.  Same for exhaust if on the exhaust stroke.  You MUST have the engine at TDC compression (both valves closed) to do a test listening for air bypass.  If it passes a valve on TDC compression it "could" mean it is stuck or otherwise damaged.
KD

rkrcpa

And the answer is......... the exhaust valve guide came loose.

Looks like I need to look for a rear head.

kd

One of the head porters here can probably help you out with an oversized guide. 
KD

chaos901

Quote:agree: And you have to prevent it from rolling over when you add the air.

I have a roll in chock on my lift table, and the first time I ever did a leak down I was focused on the gauges and almost missed that the bike was rolling backwards.  I grabbed the clutch my son grabbed the front brake the front brake and disaster was averted.  Strap it in now, and hold the rear brake.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

kd

September 16, 2021, 06:17:51 AM #45 Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:56:12 AM by kd
You can but a tool that fits in the crank sensor hole and locks the flywheel.  I don't have one (yet) but do intend to one day.  I never think of it until I feel like doing a leak down test.
KD

chaos901

QuoteYou can but a tool that fits in the crank sensor hole and locks the flywheel.  I don't have one (yet) but do inte3nd to one day.  I never think of it until I feel like doing a leak down test.

I do have one of those since you mentioned it, likely got it after that episode.  But, being older, I forgot about it when I did some leak down tests before rebuilding one of my engines a couple of years ago.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

hattitude

Quote from: chaos901 on September 16, 2021, 06:53:32 AM
QuoteYou can but a tool that fits in the crank sensor hole and locks the flywheel.  I don't have one (yet) but do inte3nd to one day.  I never think of it until I feel like doing a leak down test.

I do have one of those since you mentioned it, likely got it after that episode.  But, being older, I forgot about it when I did some leak down tests before rebuilding one of my engines a couple of years ago.

I hate it when that happens...!!!

I just upgraded the spring tensioners on an older softail I bought a couple years ago. This time I decided to just change the tensioner pads, instead of the '07+ cam plate/hydraulic tensioner upgrade I did on my other bike...

I decided to order the new Cyco pads and the pad installation tool...

I ordered the tool, then checked for gaskets, and other parts for the job.

I found out I had bought the new Cyco tensioner pads/pad tool for my other bike, before I decided to go with the cam plate/hydraulic tensioner upgrade...   :emoGroan:

Luckily I was able to cancel the order, so I don't now have two of them...!

barny7655

are there any noises when no compression ,any top end noise when running nice , one would assume  a bent valve , if guide was loose causing valve to be open , piston hitting it ,, one needs three things for , Air,fuel , ign ,its so easy , take exuast off on that pot , take  throttle body off , get your scope camera and have a look while some one spins the rear wheel , you will see the guide , valve movement etc , , then one would think if cam was at fault ,,no valve movement , im thinking exaust valve ,or a faulty lifter   cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Hossamania

Quote from: barny7655 on September 19, 2021, 09:07:39 PM
are there any noises when no compression ,any top end noise when running nice , one would assume  a bent valve , if guide was loose causing valve to be open , piston hitting it ,, one needs three things for , Air,fuel , ign ,its so easy , take exuast off on that pot , take  throttle body off , get your scope camera and have a look while some one spins the rear wheel , you will see the guide , valve movement etc , , then one would think if cam was at fault ,,no valve movement , im thinking exaust valve ,or a faulty lifter   cheers

See post #42.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.