March 28, 2024, 03:59:20 AM

News:

New Noise

Started by Jim Bronson, September 01, 2021, 06:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I'm noticing a new noise coming from the left side while cruising. At first I thought it was air going through my helmet vents, but I've ruled that out. It is a pulsating woosh-woosh-woosh with each woosh about every 1-2 seconds, and it varies with speed. The bike runs and starts fine. It is definitely coming from the left side and seems to disappear at idle or when blipping the throttle.

Does this sound familiar? 2015 RK
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

HogMike

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 01, 2021, 06:04:56 PM
I'm noticing a new noise coming from the left side while cruising. At first I thought it was air going through my helmet vents, but I've ruled that out. It is a pulsating woosh-woosh-woosh with each woosh about every 1-2 seconds, and it varies with speed. The bike runs and starts fine. It is definitely coming from the left side and seems to disappear at idle or when blipping the throttle.

Does this sound familiar? 2015 RK

Maybe check your belt?
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Varies with speed or varies with rpm?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

motorhogman

Long shot.. For the second time in recent history I chased a noise that was intermittent and it turned out to be a loose muffler baffle. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Ohio HD

I'd lift the front wheel and check the wheel bearings. Front wheel ABS bearings can die earlier than a non ABS bearings will.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on September 01, 2021, 08:07:54 PM
Varies with speed or varies with rpm?
That's a good question. I'll take it on a straight stretch of the interstate and check. It does seem to vary more with speed than RPMs though. I'll check everything mentioned and report back. Thanks everyone.

PoorUB

I might get it off the ground and spin the wheels before I spent much more time on the road. It might be a wheel bearing about 5 minutes from total failure!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Quote from: PoorUB on September 02, 2021, 11:10:50 AM
I might get it off the ground and spin the wheels before I spent much more time on the road. It might be a wheel bearing about 5 minutes from total failure!
Point well taken. I'll do that tomorrow

Jim Bronson

Still no conclusion. I spun and wiggled the front wheel, listening for odd sounds from the bearings. The tire and belt look good. I still haven't gotten a chance to ride it and listen with a critical ear while I vary speed and RPM. Maybe tomorrow.

les

How many miles on the engine?

Appowner

Just a SWAG here but could the belt/pulleys/wheel be ever so slightly out of alignment?

I'm thinking the sound could be the result of the belt periodically rubbing against the side lip of a pulley.  That would change with bike speed and stop when the bike is stopped.

Get the rear wheel off the ground and slowly rotate it while watching the side to side movement of the belt on the pulley.  I would think it doesn't have to move much to produce something like this.

Like I said, just a SWAG.

nibroc

what's a swag?

............. :nix:

rigidthumper

Scientific Wild Ass Guess
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Leed

Well I hope I'm wrong but it could be your main drive bearing starting to go. Mine had me going crazy trying to find where the noise was coming from. It was quiet until about 15 or 20 mph. I replaced the front wheel bearings and cleaned the front calipers without any luck. Well with a stethoscope the front bearings were just starting to fail
Finally put my bike on the lift and raised the rear wheel. Still nothing obvious until I started it up and ran up the wheel to some speed.  Then I heard where it was coming from.

Jim Bronson

I started it on the service jack today. I can hear noise, and it is coming from the chain case. I don't know enough to know exactly where it is coming from, but it kinda sounds like some chain slap, the same noise as when the chain is rubbing against something (sort of a grinding sound). It is present with the bike in neutral or in gear. I ran it  up to 30 MPH (on the jack), and it gets a little louder. Does this sound familiar?

Ohio HD

On the lift, pull the clutch in while running. That isolates the transmission from movement.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 05, 2021, 11:08:58 AM
On the lift, pull the clutch in while running. That isolates the transmission from movement.
In neutral with the bike on the ground, there's no difference in the noise with the clutch in or out.

Ohio HD

Has to be in the primary or motor then.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 05, 2021, 02:30:29 PM
Has to be in the primary or motor then.
Thanks. That means the primary cover comes off tomorrow.  :emsad:

Jim Bronson

I removed the primary cover, and everything looks OK to me. I didn't remove the tensioner, but the material is hardly scuffed at all. There were no shavings on the magnetic plug, but the chain looks a bit tight. I'm not sure what the deflection of the top strand should be. I measured it halfway between the sprockets, and it deflects 1/4". Does that seem normal?

Thanks.

Ohio HD

Chain, cold, about 1/2" to 5/8" up to down at the loosest section. The auto adjusters can over tighten the chain.

Jim Bronson

My mistake  :embarrassed:. With better lighting and a rigid scale, I can deflect it 5/8" with only moderate effort. I don't see anything else wrong, so it's time to button it up. Thanks again OhioHD. It needed new primary fluid anyway.  :wink:

Ohio HD

Before putting the cover back on, I'd check the chain deflection at various rotation of the crank, look for a tight spot. Also look to see of by chance the clutch is oscillating when rotated, just in the event (not likely} that the transmission input shaft is bent. If it is, you may see a mark behind the ring gear where it's digging into the inner primary. Not likely, but your there.

Check the compensator bolt for proper torque, probably fine, but your there.

Try to rock the clutch back and forth, grip the clutch basket at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. try to move it, pull with the right, push with the left, switch, repeat. Also with your grip the same, try to push the basket in and out, just to see that the clutch assembly is loose, or the clutch hub bearing isn't shot and loose. I know that with the clutch in the noise went away But your there.

Jim Bronson

OK, I'll get those done today.