March 28, 2024, 07:14:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tyre pressure

Started by david lee, September 02, 2021, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

September 02, 2021, 10:40:22 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:16:44 PM by Coyote
what pressure should i run in the front tyre on my trike thanks

Hossamania

What size is it? What is the max pressure listed on the sidewall?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Burnout

38# minimum, I see most of the wear on my trike front tire is from heavy braking, at lower pressures the tire flattens out and wears on the sides.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on September 03, 2021, 07:07:21 AM
38# minimum, I see most of the wear on my trike front tire is from heavy braking, at lower pressures the tire flattens out and wears on the sides.

Is that on a 16" tire? The op's tire looks like 19 or 21.

kd

Also consider that tire pressure will rise 3 - 6# (or approximately 1# per 10 degree increase from cold) due to road and flex heat build-up.
KD

Burnout

Quote from: Hossamania on September 03, 2021, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: Burnout on September 03, 2021, 07:07:21 AM

Is that on a 16" tire? The op's tire looks like 19 or 21.

Both a 19" or a 16" showed similar wear patterns.

david lee

its a 21 inch.  i contacted my hd mech who has worked on it and he said  32 in front and 18 in rear as theres no rear suspension

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on September 05, 2021, 04:38:39 PM
its a 21 inch.  i contacted my hd mech who has worked on it and he said  32 in front and 18 in rear as theres no rear suspension

Seems sound advice.

Deye76

Quote from: kd on September 03, 2021, 09:46:47 AM
Also consider that tire pressure will rise 3 - 6# (or approximately 1# per 10 degree increase from cold) due to road and flex heat build-up.
:up: Wonder if tire designers build this in to pressure requirements.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on September 06, 2021, 05:16:50 AM

I've got to think they do. I set cold pressure and don't worry about hot pressure, not much I can do about that. Proper cold pressure will work best to control hot pressure. Under inflating usually raises hot pressure and prematurely wears the tire. Over inflating may be necessary to account for extra load, but that is usually just the rear, and then only a few pounds at best.

Deye76

I've read conflicting information on weather they do or don't.
I also go by the cold pressure and it is what is.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on September 06, 2021, 07:24:18 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on September 06, 2021, 05:16:50 AM

I've got to think they do. I set cold pressure and don't worry about hot pressure, not much I can do about that. Proper cold pressure will work best to control hot pressure. Under inflating usually raises hot pressure and prematurely wears the tire. Over inflating may be necessary to account for extra load, but that is usually just the rear, and then only a few pounds at best.

As has been discussed here before. The amount of heat an under inflated tire produces is crazy. They can reach temps that equal the curing process when the tire is mfg.   Ever seen a semi truck/ trailer going down the highway with a tire smoldering or on fire.. lack of pressure most every time.  There is a chart floating around here somewhere that shows how pressure effects tire temp.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Deye76

"Ever seen a semi truck/ trailer going down the highway with a tire smoldering or on fire.."
Recaps. overloaded, exceeding designed speed.

Burnout

Speaking of overloading, Is a 21" tire suitable for use on a Trike?

I am seeing a huge amount of wear on the front tire of the trike (none on the rears).

This tells me that, on a trike, the loading on the front tire is fairly high.

motorhogman

September 07, 2021, 08:28:28 AM #14 Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:17:05 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Deye76 on September 06, 2021, 03:12:54 PM"Ever seen a semi truck/ trailer going down the highway with a tire smoldering or on fire.."
Recaps. overloaded, exceeding designed speed.

All contributing factors for sure.  we used to run recaps on Gas tanker trailers carrying 9,000 + gals. 

I found my tire temp chart.

thumper 823

From what I think I know, the posted pressure o the baseline to work from,  no one rides the same weight.
A temp gun helps a lot, you can shoot it .
If I remember one pond more is is good for 50 lbs load more.

This chart might help
https://www.jpcycles.com/how-to-read-motorcycle-tires?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Text-Generic-Category-Tires-Tire%20Sizes&utm_id=bing_401389956_1239149824843133_77446998530787_kwd-77447043607991:loc-190_c&utm_term=motorcycle%20tire%20sizing%20explained&msclkid=7a3736d3e5bb1253d2495794fb3dc454

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

motorhogman

Nice chart Thanks for posting.

Link

panhead_dan

Anyone who tells you that your front tire should be X and your rear should be Q is full of bull. Different brands and models of tire have different pressure requirements. Many Dunlops are like 32 and a Metzler may be 50. Some bikes have a sticker giving you inflation info. This is no longer usable if you change to a different brand or even model of tire.
Use the max pressure given on the side of the tire as your max and adjust as needed. Any adjustment should be pretty minimal. 5 is not minimal.

motorhogman

Quote from: panhead_dan on September 19, 2021, 02:34:43 PM
Anyone who tells you that your front tire should be X and your rear should be Q is full of bull. Different brands and models of tire have different pressure requirements. Many Dunlops are like 32 and a Metzler may be 50. Some bikes have a sticker giving you inflation info. This is no longer usable if you change to a different brand or even model of tire.
Use the max pressure given on the side of the tire as your max and adjust as needed. Any adjustment should be pretty minimal. 5 is not minimal.

Hey Dan, When I switched from Dunlop to Michelin Commander II's I called Mich tech support and they said run their tires at the MFG of the bikes spec. It also says that on their website.

Ironheadmike

Put in what your manual says . Just because the tire says 50 max psi doesn't you should run 50 psi .