March 28, 2024, 11:19:19 PM

News:

four speed starter shaft

Started by 2CLK1, September 05, 2021, 12:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2CLK1

I'm having some difficulty with the correct spacing between the starter ring
and the starter drive gear. The parts book has two numbers for the starter shaft,
31482-65 and 31482-70   My question is are they different sizes, I have installed a thin
thrust washer in the shaft housing and the drive gear and ring just touch.

Also can someone measure the stock thickness of the thrust washer for the
starter shaft 31501-65.

Thanks

All gave some.. Some gave all..

bump

The primary was changed when going to altenator on shovel which changed with stator being added to main shaft.

2CLK1

Do you know if there is a difference in length between the two?

JW113

I don't know if this will help you, or not. Shovelhead starters kind of suck, at least that has been my experience. Hard to state categorically what will work, and what will not. What I found invaluable is one of these:

[attach=0]

This is the upper right corner cut off from a $15 crap-o Ebay outer primary, that you can bolt on and observe what is going on with your starter bendix. Not a tool you need very often, maybe only once, but damn. It sure makes solving problems like you (and I) have had a lot easier to solve.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

Quote from: 2CLK1 on September 05, 2021, 02:05:51 PM
Do you know if there is a difference in length between the two?

I don't know ..... below from epray supplys

31482-65

31482-70

billbuilds

As FSG has illlustrated the -65 shaft is shorter than the -70 shaft. The -70 shaft also used a thicker shift collar than the -65. The thrust washer is the same. I'm not sure of the tickness but there was no difference.

kd

The -65 is a 4 year run from 65 to 69 with the slabside generator engine.  The -70 is the 70 and up version with the extra length to accommodate the alternator.  The home tool that JW is showing is a great addition to a tool box and can be used for more than checking your starter.. 
KD

bump

The 70 and up transmission main shaft is also longer to line up clutch with engine shaft.

2CLK1

Thanks to all, It's a generator motor that needed a lot, new clutch( Barrnet ) and hub ( after market ) and I was able to borrow the special tool JW showed. It needed three thrust washers on the chain cover side and one thin washer on the housing side.

The clearance looked close between the drive gear and starter ring but weren't touching when tested
with the tool. After starting I drained the primary and checked the oil and found some metal, the two just touched.

From the pictures I can't think the later shaft would fit in the cover. My thoughts now are to pull the starter and try even a thinner washer in the housing to widen the gap between the two.

guppymech

If your starter reduction gear housing has a shoulder for the bendix shaft then you don't need a washer for it, the early housings didn't have a shoulder and used washers.  That's not to say you can't use washers to fine tune your setup.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

2CLK1

When I disassemble I'll take note of a shoulder. The washer I installed there
was pretty thin. If I don't need one that would give me the clearance I need.

Thank You all for your Help.

2CLK1

I had the time today to work on the starter and after removing the housing
I saw there was a raised boss on it. I removed the washer I had installed and
reassembled it so now the gear rides on the boss, and I can see plenty of clearance
between the starter ring and drive gear.

Thanks for all the help.