April 19, 2024, 09:05:05 PM

News:

spark plug hole repair 88 bt

Started by alstar2, September 07, 2021, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

does anybody put in save a thread inserts with out removing the head & what do you use to lock it in,red locktite?
thanks Al

jmorton10

I've put a helicoil into a buddies Shovel without removing the head.  Used red Loctite on it just to be safe.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

FSG

would a back-tap fix the thread or is it too far gone ?

alstar2

have not seen it yet.it is coming today.someone has already looked at it & put the plug back in with red loctite

sandrooney

I put a  helicoil in my old shovelhead without removing the head, greased up the drill and tap to catch the shavings and got er done. Left the next day on a 7, 000 mile one month trip and had no issues with that.
Patience is such a waste of time .

tomcat64

i used a tapsert on my old shovel, but it did remove the head first..

truck

How long will red Loctite work at operating temperature?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Norton Commando

I had a completely worn out spark plug thread on the head of my Norton.  I purchased a spark plug repair kit called Sav-A-Thread from OReillys; I think it's a Helicoil product. There's no drilling involved, which minimizes the amount of aluminum shavings.  You merely use the supplied tap to cut new threads in the spark plug hole and then install a threaded insert in its place. I put an ample coat of grease on the tap, worked slowly and cleaned off the tap and applied fresh grease often. The whole process was quite smooth and the end result was excellent!

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Deye76

Quote from: truck on September 09, 2021, 06:21:20 AM
How long will red Loctite work at operating temperature?

I would use Loctite Sleeve Retainer.
"Requires for the tightest fits, a press or puller to disassemble parts"
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jmorton10

Isn't that basically what red loctite is??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

JDhog211

https://www.timesert.com/

I've used a time cert on my bike and it's a very strong and permanent
Install.
JD
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Deye76

Quote from: jmorton10 on September 09, 2021, 09:46:43 AM

Isn't that basically what red loctite is??

~John
Not even close.

chaos901

I'd never heard of Sleeve Retainer so I looked it up.  I have had a need for this on occasion. 

Below is a description of what it does:
  - High temperature anaerobic adhesive that secures slip and press fit assemblies
  - Adds up to 3,000 psi holding power
  - Restores fit to worn or out-of-tolerance assemblies
  - Prevents surface corrosion
  - Works up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

jsachs1

September 10, 2021, 02:30:23 PM #13 Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:00:30 PM by FSG
Being in the business, I can't afford to have a comeback. A little time consuming, but 100% bullet proof, this is what I use. Head needs to be removed.
John

[attach=0,msg1394788]

Deye76

"I'd never heard of Sleeve Retainer so I looked it up.  I have had a need for this on occasion."

years ago it was called bearing & sleeve mount or something like that. Green in color. I guarantee if you put it on a bolt thread, even with heat it wasn't coming out in one piece. I had a rigid frame that the back 2 bolts on the trans plate to frame always came loose, (it was that V shaped passenger peg mount that caused it) after using the green stuff, held forever. When I sold the frame, the trans plate came with it.