April 24, 2024, 10:00:52 AM

News:

2012 FLHTK Compensator

Started by Hossamania, September 08, 2021, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Worn bad enough to warrant replacement? 50,000 miles. Do I need a new bolt if just reinstalling, new bolt if new comp installed?
I've been getting a random "klack" at idle, just one, then maybe another, not steady. Also getting a "shhhh" sound under load, stops when I let off throttle. Thinking I need to get into the cam side too to check tensioners.
[attach=0]
[attach=1]
[attach=2]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

September 08, 2021, 07:22:59 PM #1 Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:46:39 PM by kd
Too much lugging.  :teeth:

Seriously, do you have ACRs or get any kick back on hot starts?  How about clack on shut down?  The spoke wear looks very minimal but there is typical fretting (rust) signs from lack of internal lube.  The wear on the bearing surface of the spoke hub looks bad but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just camera effect. Can you feel that ridge? The sprocket looks minty except for the internal fretting. A cheapskate might just add one small bellows spring to tighten it up.  A full swap to a +14 comp will improve oiling and allow you to shim for stack height. I am using a 14+ OEM comp and shimming resolved my intermittent clack brought on by a raunchy idle from my cams.

BTW, a comp bolt is about $5.  If you're doing hard launches or shifts know that the old bolt has been stretched under the original torque and it may not like doing that again.

Added Later:

I just noticed that one spoke in the last pic.  At first glance I mistook it for a casting mark.  It now appears one of the three spokes is damaged.  I can see how it may match up to that one rough ramp on the cam.  If that's the case I'd call it done.  Time for a +14 comp.  I may be misinterpreting the pic though.

KD

BJB

The best thing I did to my '13 ROAD GLIDE was go to the 32 tooth Rivera Primo sprocket. You can have the  Screamin Eagle warranty upgrade 34 tooth one I replaced at approx 20K miles. Looks really good but not sure if it works with your ramps. Maybe 9K on it.
Going in the cam chest at 50K? I did cams at 11K and was thinking I'd look at maybe 80 K.
Why not use a Dremel to cut some slots in the threads of the old bolt to clean out the OEM thread locker?

Hossamania

Yes, I can feel the ridge on the spoke hub, not terrible, but noticeable. The rust is quite minimal, it actually wipes off, almost looks like tranny fluid. But the wear mark on the spoke is a pretty substantial flat spot, all three actually. Taking it to my indy tomorrow to have him look at it, and send me home with a new one most likely.
No kickback on hot starts, occasional klack at shut down, but not consistent.
As for the cam side, probably need to get in there too and check tensioners.

Hossamania

Quote from: BJB on September 08, 2021, 07:54:11 PM
The best thing I did to my '13 ROAD GLIDE was go to the 32 tooth Rivera Primo sprocket. You can have the  Screamin Eagle warranty upgrade 34 tooth one I replaced at approx 20K miles. Looks really good but not sure if it works with your ramps. Maybe 9K on it.
Going in the cam chest at 50K? I did cams at 11K and was thinking I'd look at maybe 80 K.
Why not use a Dremel to cut some slots in the threads of the old bolt to clean out the OEM thread locker?

Good idea on the bolt to clean the threads, though brake cleaner and a rag cleaned it pretty good. I'll probably just go with a whole new comp and oiling tray.
I've kind of been ignoring the cam chest, figured cams next year, so was waiting. But I need to look and just change tensioners if needed, been spending a little much on both bikes this year, the wife is, um, understanding, but I don't want to push it. 4 new tires, a new belt, kind of cut into my yearly upgrade budget. Not sure she'll go for cams and a tune "as long as I'm in there..."

Norton Commando

Quote from: Hossamania on September 08, 2021, 08:07:23 PM

I'll probably just go with a whole new comp and oiling tray.

I, too, have a 2012 FLHTK and I installed the latest HD compensator with the oil-tray and its worked well (no clacking) for over 15,000 miles now.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

jmorton10

I replace the comp/sprocket bolt everytime I take the primary apart.

My local dealer stocks them & for under $5 I can't see using the old one over (although I'm sure the old one is probably fine)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

A new bolt for sure, I was originally thinking along the lines of just putting the original comp back in, but I think that plan is out the window.

PoorUB

The only concern I have is the wear on the diameter of the hub,but perhaps it looks worse than it is in the photo.  Other than that, I would run it.

If you replace it, I would just run the replacement from Harley. They work fine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

I showed it fo my indie, he said they all look like that, run it. I greased it up, put it back together, will fire it up tomorrow. The shoe looked good, very little grooving.

kd

Do a search here on comp noise.  You nay like the idea of adding one small ballows spring plate to take up the stack height a wee bit.  That should stop the clacking and prevent it from growing.
KD

Tacocaster

Hoss,

Mine was, like yours, producing that similar annoying "clack" at easily 50K miles.

I had already purchased the additional spacer(s) HD offers, thinking the stack height was shy and needed a bit more "tightening" but when I pulled it apart, the outward fibre shim literally crumbled into 3 pieces - UGH!. A closer inspection also showed the same wear detail as yours and the same internal fretting (rust) KD spoke of above.

So, I opted for HD's newest replacement version. I mean, it's been what... 5 revisions now since the original 96 CI Compensator replacement upgrade? Good to see HD was listening to the people (like Rabos and others on here) who were showing them how to build a better mousetrap.

"Cool runnings" again!
Just sharing for your consideration.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on September 09, 2021, 10:10:13 PM
Do a search here on comp noise.  You nay like the idea of adding one small ballows spring plate to take up the stack height a wee bit.  That should stop the clacking and prevent it from growing.

I'm not completely convinced my clacking is from the comp, but of course I didn't use my stethoscope to track it down before tearing it apart. The sound was not loud, not steady, just random, while idling, maybe heard it once or twice under power, but could have been my imagination.
First ride this afternoon, I'll report back then.