March 28, 2024, 05:18:51 AM

News:

Gear lever spring failed

Started by 1340evo, September 12, 2021, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Had a close call today with the gear lever spring. The gear leaver would not return up or down so pulled over and read a few posts. Instead of riding home I got my trailer and got it home that way. Glad I did as the spring end was hanging on by a thread. Had it of come off it would go straight into the gears and mash them I guess.

So, is there a way to fix this without taking the primary off.. I think I know the answer however!!

JW113

Yes, I think you do.
:wink:

As long as you have the tool to pull that inner race off the mainshaft and a clutch spring compressor, it ain't no big deal. If you don't have the tools, well, you needed them so here's your chance.
:SM:

Good luck!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

1340evo

September 12, 2021, 09:30:52 AM #2 Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:11:56 PM by 1340evo
I do.. I made some when I changed from taper shaft to splined...
Right, if thats the only way I'll start draining the oil :)

Anything else worth doing whilst in there? who makes good springs?

Naear

Sorry to hear your misfortune
Good call with tow home I see your across the pond if you can spring for it I'd recommend going with the Baker shifter pawl assy
Check this thread out has a you tube video linked that may help you with your trans
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,107731.msg1281585

1340evo

Thanks for that, found one in the UK for £200.. bit expensive but if it saves the box from being trashed  :smile:

JW113

I would not waste 200 quid on a Baker shift pawl. The stock HD spring is perfectly fine. And yes, I've had one fail. In 1991 they got a batch that were incorrectly heat treated, and almost all of them broke, including mine. Replaced with a stock one, and 30 years later, no problem-o.

-JW

1340evo

Mine is 89, and it went. Also sits right above the gear mesh so I can see easy how it would trash the thing. The Baker one sits off one side so even if that went pop, it would not end up in the gears with any luck.
TBH, from where I was I look at it like I've just same myself £3K plus for a new box.. so £200 ain't too bad ;)

Worth doing anything else whilst in there?

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on September 13, 2021, 10:16:08 AM
Mine is 89, and it went. Also sits right above the gear mesh so I can see easy how it would trash the thing. The Baker one sits off one side so even if that went pop, it would not end up in the gears with any luck.
TBH, from where I was I look at it like I've just same myself £3K plus for a new box.. so £200 ain't too bad ;)

Worth doing anything else whilst in there?

As long as the gear set is out of the case to replace that spring, a good upgrade is the swap the current drum, pillow blocks, pawl and bushing out for the 2002 and newer five speed stuff. This can be done for low cost as these parts are available on ebay. The bushing will have to be sourced from a dealer. These parts are drop in replacements but must be swapped as a complete set. The design of the oem stuff is very similar to the Baker parts with the exception that the oem setup has positive stops for 1st and 5th gears. The Baker stuff does not. The bushing will require some fun tools to remove and re-install.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Mmm, maybe that's a bit of a challenge here in the UK, but Will take a look :)

JW113

Turbo has a good suggestion there. I have that setup in my '92, and besides the improved 1/5 stops, you can get into neutral from second gear. I bought the Baker drum and pawl set up, installed it, and was deeply disappointed that it would not go to neutral from 2nd. Pulled it all out and put the late TC 5 speed parts in, and am a happy camper now.

Having changed the bushing with the "special" tool, I'm pretty sure it can be done with a home made puller/pusher, using all-thread rod and a piece of tubing.

-JW

Burnout

I used a Baker Posi-Shift, it worked bad ass (no more missed shifts).

I miss it.....         :cry:

I had to take it out when I installed the Baker 6 speed kit now I am back to missed shifts......     :angry:   :down:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hogget

trying to get my head around the original problem - did the lever on the outside of the box come loose letting the shaft move inwards, or did the spring break letting the shaft move in and out?
thanks
rory

1340evo

Nothing moved. Just the spring broke but was still just about hanging on. Had it of come off, it would go straight into the gear mesh smashing everything.

Q
Is it wort replacing the needle bearings on the shafts at all. I did swap them from my old shaft to new so will check they are still okay this time when its out.. but for only $10 each I could replace them all.
Watching a video last night that says don't re-use thrust shims on the shaft or snap rings? Really??

hogget

thanks for clarifying - yes that could have caused a mess

Breeze

The return spring on my 1992 Dyna broke 200+ miles from home (around 1995). Only thinking of the inconvenience of manually positioning the lever between changes and not the possibility of the damage the broken piece could do, I rode it home and then to the indy shop with no additional damage. :SM: The mechanic said they had seen several broken springs and they attributed the failures to sharp corner (flashing?) on the pawl edge causing it to weaken/break. He said they just ran a file across the edge to remove it. I'm just adding this as something to look at while apart.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Naear

September 14, 2021, 02:16:04 PM #15 Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:42:48 PM by Naear
QuoteIs it wort replacing the needle bearings on the shafts at all. I did swap them from my old shaft to new so will check they are still okay this time when its out.. but for only $10 each I could replace them all.

How many miles on your 89 and trans you plan on keeping you R for years to come?
My OL's 1990 Fxrs conv bout 50k spring broke we was almost home thankfully and like you it didn't trash anything I used the Jims kit and baker pawl.

I just had 5th gear a year ago puke a bearing on my 88fxrs shes not stock tho needles trashed a couple gears sad day.
I decided to rebuild my box I used a Jims time saver kit that came with the works andrews gears baker pawl  figure these bikes are getting up there 30+ yr old.

Good luck to ya getting back on the road

1340evo

yes, planning to keep it till i'm old  :teeth:  well older  :embarrassed:
its got about 35K on the bike I used to build mine from. Guess its original box so will be the same.
I've got it pulled down now so will inspect tomorrow :)