April 19, 2024, 04:31:07 PM

News:

Oil Pump o-Ring....

Started by hattitude, September 13, 2021, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I am putting my 2001 Springer (carb) cam chest back together. I put a new o-ring on the oil pump, before bolting up the oil pump/cam plate..

I keep a few extra o-rings, etc around. I used an o-ring #11157, that I had from the cam chest upgrade on my 2003 Heritage (EFI).

Later, I was looking for another part in my parts book, and I saw that the oil pump o-ring shown for a 2001 FXSTS is #11293...  :scratch:

I double checked the online parts finder, in case one just superseded the other.

Sure enough, 2001 FXSTS 88" engine is oil pump o-ring #11293 and 2003 FLSTCI 88" engine is oil pump o-ring #11157. They both show the same oil pump, #26035-99B...   :nix:

So what gives....??

Why the two different o-ring part numbers, for the same engine and the same pump....??

It seemed to fit well. Unfortunately, I threw out the old one so I can't compare them to each other...

I haven't put the exhaust on yet, so it's just a bunch of screws to make the change...

Should I buy a #11293 o-ring, take apart the cam chest, and put the #11293 in there...?  Or will the #11157 work...?

rigidthumper

The early heavy black oring would get hard & lose seal after (a long) time, so they switched. The later yellow one (11293) seems to stay pliable forever. How many miles on the engine? You're gonna be back in the cases eventually, replacing the balancer chain guides- I'd wait till then to replace it.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hattitude

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 14, 2021, 02:42:33 AM
The early heavy black oring would get hard & lose seal after (a long) time, so they switched. The later yellow one (11293) seems to stay pliable forever. How many miles on the engine? You're gonna be back in the cases eventually, replacing the balancer chain guides- I'd wait till then to replace it.

OK, thank you for that info, I was hoping it was something like that... so same o-ring, just different rubber composition, and one replaced the other...

Funny that on the parts finder they still show the #11157 (black one) for the 2003, yet on the older bike, 2001, they show the #11293. There was no asterisk after the part number, showing it was a superseded part, so that's what threw me...

This is my putt around bike. It has 12.6K miles, I bought it with 9.8K miles not quite 3 years ago...  It won't get near get the mileage I put on my bagger ....  No long trips and maybe up to 1.5K miles a year... 

I'll leave it as is...

Thanks again...   :up:

hattitude

Quick follow up for anyone who sees this....

I obviously took a black #11157 o-ring off the 2001 oil pump, and didn't notice any difference putting a new #11157 on the pump...

So I looked through the pics of the cam plate upgrade on my 2003 Heritage, and found that I used a yellow #11293 oil pump o-ring in that case, probably why I had a couple of the black #11157 in my o-ring drawer.... I can't remember why I went with the #11293 at that time...

It was a nice day today, so took a ride (on one of my other bikes) to a local dealer and bought a #11293 o-ring. There is a noticeable difference between the two. The #11293 feels much better. It's softer, yet firm, and much more pliable than the #11157. Even the new #11157 felt dry and stiff in comparison...

I said I was going to leave it as is.... but .... my OCD kicked in.....      :emoGroan:

Yeah, you guessed it... the cam chest will be opened up today and the #11157 will be swapped out for the #11293... luckily I only have to remove the cover, cam gears, cam chest, and oil pump... I don't even have the pushrods/rockers back on the engine yet...

Sometimes I just can't help myself....   :SM:

rigidthumper

Ya, but you'll sleep better tonight knowing that's taken care of. I get it!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

GD

Hattitude
i would do the same thing my ocd works that way also.

hattitude

The new #11293 o-ring in on the pump and the cam chest is all buttoned back up.....    :up:

And yes, I will sleep better tonight because of it.....   :SM:

Coyote

Admiral Akbar

The original O ring was Buna. New one is Viton. It's the same as the upper pushrod.  If you get the chance replace all HD O rings with Viton, will stay pliable to 400F.   HD appears to have figured that out on the M8s. 

hattitude

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on September 27, 2021, 11:24:20 AM
The original O ring was Buna. New one is Viton. It's the same as the upper pushrod.  If you get the chance replace all HD O rings with Viton, will stay pliable to 400F.   HD appears to have figured that out on the M8s.

:up:

That explains the difference in how they feel.....