April 16, 2024, 01:07:10 PM

News:

clutch inspection cover screw

Started by Barefoot, September 14, 2021, 01:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barefoot

2000 FLHT: Clutch Inspection Cover
Lost the upper left screw (out of the five) I guess cause I tighten toooo much and it lost its bite and eventually fell out.  Would like your expertise as to how I should proceed to fix this...it does lose and little bit of oil as a result of my mistake constantly.
thanks as always
Barefoot

RKRuss

If you've stripped the thread, then I think your best bet would be to remove the outer primary cover and have it Heli-coiled. Pop in a new screw and you're done.

Hossamania

I would try and clean the thread with a rethreader and see if you can get the screw to bite. If not, I would try to retap it one size larger and put an oversize screw in there, but it probably won't match and look perfect. That would not bother me, but that's your call. You probably wouldn't have to remove the outer primary cover to tap it, but be sure to catch the shavings from the tap, maybe a greased rag inside.
If no love, a timesert may be your only option. Or find a good takeoff cheap.
As I think about this, you are losing oil because the screw is missing, not because the cover isn't tight enough? A simple fix might be to build the thread hole up with a little JB Cold Weld, retap it and install the screw.
And stop cranking them tight like a tire lug!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Norton Commando

Quote from: RKRuss on September 14, 2021, 01:41:33 AM
If you've stripped the thread, then I think your best bet would be to remove the outer primary cover and have it Heli-coiled. Pop in a new screw and you're done.

:agree:
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Jim Bronson

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

chaos901

I had to do that on my 2000, heli-coil worked fine.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Rockout Rocker Products

Small screws like derby cover items.... I'll wager as many are stripped by using a torque wrench as are saved.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 17, 2021, 12:25:59 PM
Small screws like derby cover items.... I'll wager as many are stripped by using a torque wrench as are saved.
I should have said a properly used torque wrench.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Barefoot

Once again I am most appreciative of all the responses...I think I will pull the cover and use the JB Weld idea...hell at 75 I wont be riding more than 5 more yrs...
thanks again
Barefoot

HogMike

Quote from: Barefoot on September 17, 2021, 07:13:11 PM
Once again I am most appreciative of all the responses...I think I will pull the cover and use the JB Weld idea...hell at 75 I wont be riding more than 5 more yrs...
thanks again
Barefoot

I've had bikes over the years with the same issues, always used heli coils. Permanent fix.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

bobrk1

I've  had  one  strip  even  with  a  torque  wrench , got  a  replacement  from  dealer  that  stripped  too.  Bought  a  set online  to  replace  them  all. Strange  getting  a  dealer  part and  have  more  than  one  have  soft head that  strips  so  easy .

Hossamania

It seems the proper torque setting for those screws is "kind of snug, but not really."
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

Quote from: bobrk1 on September 18, 2021, 06:12:00 AM
I've  had  one  strip  even  with  a  torque  wrench , got  a  replacement  from  dealer  that  stripped  too.  Bought  a  set online  to  replace  them  all. Strange  getting  a  dealer  part and  have  more  than  one  have  soft head that  strips  so  easy .

The head of the torx bolt stripped? Or the threads in the primary cover stripped?
IIRC it's 90-100 IN LB torque on the bolt. That's assuming that the threads and hole are clean and no debris or burrs present.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kouack

T27 bit was used or a T25? Don't ask me why  :embarrassed:

Rockout Rocker Products

September 18, 2021, 08:02:15 AM #14 Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:09:39 AM by Rockout Rocker Products
Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 17, 2021, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 17, 2021, 12:25:59 PM
I should have said a properly used torque wrench.

I think it's also the wrench itself. A $25 model from Pep Boys isn't real accurate at the bottom end of it's range, but putting all common sense aside some will keep turning on a mission to hear that click. Eventually they do but it's not the wrench  :doh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFbYirJ5aM  :25 and 2:00 in.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!