March 29, 2024, 01:17:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Comp nut

Started by 76shuvlinoff, September 14, 2021, 05:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

It's been 17 years since I have needed one which is pretty good, but the socket for the comp nut is 1 1/2" and the threads are right handed.... Correct?

I have some oil leaks I want to address.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

it's late here and I forget, will look in the morning if it's not been answered by then   :smiled:

rigidthumper

Yes- 1.5" x RH threads
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Burnout

Righty tighty, lefty loosy......

It's the trans that has the backwards spinning nuts.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Thanks all.
I had one for years I had ground the lead-in off and I cannot locate it. I understand losing a 10mm but a 1.5"?

CRS is a bitch.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

fbn ent

david lee

a guy had all sorts of problems getting that nut off useing  different socket  bars, rattle guns and heat until a rattle gun used on trucks got it off

FSG

QuoteI understand losing a 10mm but a 1.5"?

ageing eyesight  :SM:

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: FSG on September 15, 2021, 02:59:48 PM
QuoteI understand losing a 10mm but a 1.5"?

ageing eyesight  :SM:

You ain't heard 1/2 of it. My crusty memory tapped me on the shoulder today and whispered that when I went to solid sprocket in 2003 I used a conventional nut that is not 1.5"

Guess I'll know soon enough.  :hyst:

Next trick, pulling that Rivera Pro clutch I have not touched since installation in 2004.
 - Ernest Hemingway

fbn ent

drifter

If you need another 1 1/2" socket, that is the size used on big truck lug nuts.  NAPA auto parts or any truck dealership will probably have it in stock.

crock

The key is getting a 1/2 drive so that you can use it without an adapter .
Crock

72fl

Ok I'll ask, What are ya doing with or to the Ol' Shovel Mark ?

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: 72fl on September 16, 2021, 04:54:53 AM
Ok I'll ask, What are ya doing with or to the Ol' Shovel Mark ?

Taking apart the primary side, checking it all over and reassembling with new seals and gaskets. Got a drip or 2, nothing big.

Then I will move to the cam side and review my options. The last time i looked at Leineweber L5 cams they were out of stock so I bought an Andrews 7. It's been a good cam but I still have the bug for an L5.  We'll see.  :teeth:
 - Ernest Hemingway

72fl

I have a small drip also, I purchased a trans seal kit from this guy, never have put it in, but there are alot of folks that have and say it works, he also states in an email to me to buy from him direct as the Ebay fee's are killer. Check it out Mark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-PANHEAD-SPACER-O-RING-LEAK-FREE-TRANSMISSION/174934483889

HarleyCharley

Quote from: 72fl on September 18, 2021, 04:01:44 AM
I have a small drip also, I purchased a trans seal kit from this guy, never have put it in, but there are alot of folks that have and say it works, he also states in an email to me to buy from him direct as the Ebay fee's are killer. Check it out Mark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-PANHEAD-SPACER-O-RING-LEAK-FREE-TRANSMISSION/174934483889

I've been running one of Ray's seals for 5 or 6 years now in '79 flh. He does nice work.

charley

72fl

Quote from: HarleyCharley on September 18, 2021, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: 72fl on September 18, 2021, 04:01:44 AM

I've been running one of Ray's seals for 5 or 6 years now in '79 flh. He does nice work.

charley

Charley I haven't installed mine yet, maybe this Winter, Maybe :wink:

JW113

Well when you do get a round tuitt, be sure to have plenty of those little O-rings on hand. They tend to break getting over that step where the splines on the mainshaft end...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

HarleyCharley

They usually come with a couple extra o-rings. Just make sure there are no burrs on the shaft and you'll be fine.

charley