April 19, 2024, 12:09:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lithium batteries , Warm up?

Started by Hybredhog, September 15, 2021, 11:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

I installed a Fire Power/ WPS lithium battery in my FXDXT with an S&S 124. It has all kinds of cranking power when its at normal temperatures, but I kind of ran into a quark when it was cold. We just got back from our Canadian trip, and on a few cold early morning starts it was draggin' ass at first, then after about a minute it kicked in with full gusto. The directions didn't say anything about cold starts/ warming the battery up, But I do recall hearing something about a warm up proceedure. I've tried turning on the headlight for a minute before trying, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

CndUltra88

I too recall some conversation about giving the bike a crank or two if there is lack of gusto.
That or leave the light on (as you did) , but having little success.
My Shorai is prolly just turning five years now and after the winter on the Balancer/Tender it is a little slow for the first week or two of riding season.
I ride two, three days a week and until I do a couple 100 mile days back to back .
Until then she seems a little slow and after that I have had no troubles.
I fully expect to be buying a new lead acid oem next riding season.
Thats all I got on these Lithium-Iron batteries.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Appowner

Lithium batteries do not like the cold (50's and below) and need to be woke up.  Turning the bike (or car) lights on for a minute usually does the trick depending on the age and chemistry of the battery.  They work fine at lower temps once woke up.

Speaking of the chemistry there are several different types of Lithium battery.  The original often labeled as LiPo should be avoided.  These are the type made famous by the fires and small explosions they started.  The LiFe is the battery of choice right now for automotive and aviation use.  It doesn't have the explosive personality of the other one.

If using a Lithium battery, make certain you use a charger/tender designed for that chemistry of battery.  The wrong charger can over charge the battery to fiery results.  Over charging and over dis-charging one of these can be fatal to the battery and in not so extreme cases the car/bike it's in as well as the garage or parking facility.

Speaking of which keeping the Lithium on a tender all the time is not necessary.  Shelf life for these is measured in years not months.  And it should take parasitic drain of the bike a good month or more before it starts to impact the battery.  So if you use a tender all the time, make sure it's one designed for constant use.  i.e. it switches off as long as the battery is above a certain level of charge.

A lot of research continues on these batteries and newer, safer, more powerful versions are on the horizon.  The electric car craze is really pushing the research and batteries with as much as 10 times the current capacity are considered possible within a few years.

Breeze

I remember watching a youtube video about starting a bike. It was in very cold weather and only clicked when trying to start. Some procedure was done and it spun right over and started. A search on yt should bring one up.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

FSG

QuoteThe electric car craze is really pushing the research and batteries with as much as 10 times the current capacity are considered possible within a few years.

:up:    just add sugar

turboprop

As others have said, there is a warm up period. 'Cold' is a somewhat relative term. I live in NC and cold here is anything below 70. I have Anti-Gravity in both of my TC124 equipped FXRs. The batteries only really need warmed up when it is 'Freezing Cold' here. I usually just leave the lights on for a few minutes while I get dressed. Never had an issue with cranking. Both engines have over 200 CCP and compression releases of some sort. The red bike has a Tech Cycle 2.kw starter and fires almost as soon as the start button is pressed. At least five years one one, maybe four on the other.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hybredhog

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll leave the lights on longer before I hit the button. It was cold & rainy up in Jasper, approx. 38 F. & the battery wanted a cup of coffee too before it spun up. I carry a tender in my tool bag, & as soon as it was plugged in, it took off, but a PIA when your all dressed up & ready to go.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

92flhtcu

I have 3 bikes with Twin Power Li-Ion batteries, when its 50f or cooler, I cycle the ignition 3x, about 10secs each cycle, they then start up like normal
Need a bigger garage

Deye76

I have one in  FXR with a 113" motor. When it's cold enough for "gear",  I turn the switch on, then get dressed in the cold weather gear, and then start the bike. Fires easily.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP